• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hohner Morino CBA

Beware! The Hohner Morino Artiste IV and VI series have NO CASSOTTO.
For some reason (unknown to me) Hohner decided not to give these Artiste models a cassotto, but at the same time they introduced the Hohner Romandie, which is essentially a Hohner Morino Artiste VI WITH CASSOTTO.
A friend of mine actually has a prototype one with cassotto which was still named Hohner Artiste VI. That's quite a unique accordion!
But alas, you don't really want an Artiste IV or VI if you are expecting Morino sound.

This could interest someone?
Looking at the location set me back reminiscing
My first trip to Australia was over 40 years ago and I went, primarily to see my 2 sons who had emigrated and were living in Elizabeth in the outskirts of Adelaide, so I made a holiday, flying to Brisbane, hiring a motorhome and driving up the coast to Cairns.
I then flew down to Adelaide, landing every half hour or so at small airports like a commuter train.
Got into Adelaide very late and asked a cabby if he knew of any hotels still open.
He took us to the Glenelg Hotel. (in Glenelg)
I was dressed in navy blue blazer, grey flannels, etc and you should have seen the look on the local's faces when we walked through the door into the main bar clutching our suitcases.
All the locals were dressed like something out of a Crocodile Dundee film.
We went up to our room and I went into the bathroom and noticed that the water in the toilet was the same colour as strong tea..
Thinking some lazy **@** had not flushed it I flushed it again only to find that was the colour of the water coming out of the tank
Also in the bathroom, there was a hole in the ceiling and you coul see the stars through it.
As it was only for the night we stayed.
I've been back a few times since and thankfully, although we didn't stay there , the hotel has been renovated.
Liked Glenelg a lot, especially the trams

You have to distinguish the original D series from the N and S series here. The D series puts the L reed into a déclassement behind the keyboard: that gives it a darker tone that is reminiscent of cassotto but not as strong. The N and S series don't do that but just use larger pallets filling the same space. As a result, M and L reed aren't as different (once you ignore the octave) in sound as with the D series. Instead, you have a different sound quality for one of the button rows. Which is really messed up. So for the N and S series of the Artiste, I'd forego the 4-reed instruments and only get one of the 5-reeds with full cassotto. But the D series as constructed by Morino makes more musical sense in its 4-reed variants.

And for anyone who would like a Morino (Artiste) CBA with cassotto and not go the the very heavy IX X and XI models there is a somewhat rare "Hohner Romandie" which is.... an Artiste with cassotto! I have no idea why they named this Romandie instead of just making it a Morino.

And for anyone who would like a Morino (Artiste) CBA with cassotto and not go the the very heavy IX X and XI models
I actually wonder what the weight of an Artiste XD would be. My own 4/2-reed 62/60-note Morino of similar vintage clocks in at 14.4kg (32lb) or so. That is comparatively modest compared to what you wrote about your 5-reed Artiste (without MIII?). I know that at least with the piano Morinos, the switch to the N series came with a significant weight increase.
there is a somewhat rare "Hohner Romandie" which is.... an Artiste with cassotto! I have no idea why they named this Romandie instead of just making it a Morino.
Maybe because they built it with different optics?

I actually wonder what the weight of an Artiste XD would be. My own 4/2-reed 62/60-note Morino of similar vintage clocks in at 14.4kg (32lb) or so. That is comparatively modest compared to what you wrote about your 5-reed Artiste (without MIII?). I know that at least with the piano Morinos, the switch to the N series came with a significant weight increase.

Maybe because they built it with different optics?
My Artiste X S is 5-reed with 56 treble notes and it does have MIII. That together makes it weigh in at 18kg.
It's no surprise that the N and S series are heavier than the M series: when you just look inside you see that the construction is much more solid with thicker wood. That's no luxury but a necessity. The Morino IV M is very lightweight but it is also quite fragile and it also has just a 4-voice bass (lighter than the 5-voice bass in the IV N and S).

My Artiste X S is 5-reed with 56 treble notes and it does have MIII. That together makes it weigh in at 18kg.
That is what makes we wonder about the Artiste XD (which was the top model constructed by Morino himself).
It's no surprise that the N and S series are heavier than the M series: when you just look inside you see that the construction is much more solid with thicker wood. That's no luxury but a necessity. The Morino IV M is very lightweight but it is also quite fragile and it also has just a 4-voice bass (lighter than the 5-voice bass in the IV N and S).
Morino was a learnt carpenter. Chances are that his woodworking skills made for constructs and materials and confidence that made for a narrower tradeoff between weight and stability than what Excelsior did. I also seem to remember that his reed blocks consisted of several different pieces from different kinds of wood depending on what properties were most important where.

Back