• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Help needed with identifying

Bergy4

Reaction score
I inherited this accordion from my grandfather when he passed away several years ago. I don't have any information on it other than what you visually see on the accordion. When I was little my grandfather said he got one of his two accordions from another solider when we was in WWI. I don't know if this is the one or not. The memories I have is that this is the one my grandfather played for me when ever we would visit. Later in his life he lived with us and it was always in the family room by his chair and I would have to ask for the TV to be turned off and him to play just one song for me. I don't remember the songs he played. I only know that it was something that made me happy and I loved hearing him play. I'm not musically inclined so no I don't play. I'm trying to figure out if this is something I want to pass on to one of my kids and its value.

Thanks for any help anyone is able to provide.

Thanks,

Attachments

• accordeon pic.jpg
    accordeon pic.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 13
  • accordeon pic 1.jpg
    accordeon pic 1.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 13
  • accordeon pic 2.jpg
    accordeon pic 2.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 13
  • accordeon pic 3.jpg
    accordeon pic 3.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 11
  • accordeon pic 4.jpg
    accordeon pic 4.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 11
  • accordeon pic 5.jpg
    accordeon pic 5.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 12
  • accordeon pic 6.jpg
    accordeon pic 6.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 12
Looks like a little Hohner diatonnic model from perhaps the 1920's-1930's It looks like it's previous owner played it well too.

Definetly a Hohner "diatonic" "push pull" accordion. And a beautiful heirloom for your family. Of course, everyone on this forum is an accordion nut and would see this as valuable.

In reality, where I live (USA, midwest) if in real good, playable shape, I would price it at $100 - $150. Value is a slippery thing, however, and depends greatly on the number of accordion aficionados in your area.

Really though, your story is wonderful and heartwarming. So, I would recommend keeping it in the family. Eventually a great or great great grandchild will take it up and bring you back those sweet memories. Or maybe you want to learn to play it yourself. It's really easy and I would teach you for free.

Definetly a Hohner "diatonic" "push pull" accordion. And a beautiful heirloom for your family. Of course, everyone on this forum is an accordion nut and would see this as valuable.

In reality, where I live (USA, midwest) if in real good, playable shape, I would price it at $100 - $150. Value is a slippery thing, however, and depends greatly on the number of accordion aficionados in your area.

Really though, your story is wonderful and heartwarming. So, I would recommend keeping it in the family. Eventually a great or great great grandchild will take it up and bring you back those sweet memories. Or maybe you want to learn to play it yourself. It's really easy and I would teach you for free.
Thank you. I likely will pass it on to either our daughter or a grandchild. Even though our son also is musically inclined I believe he would have less interest in it. I would love to hear one of them learn to play it. Maybe, if it's really that easy I might toy with learning it a bit myself.

Thanks again for the advice.

Reactions: Tom
Hi Bergy4 ,
It appears your instrument may be a two row, eight bass diatonic melodeon.
These belong to a family of "folk music" instruments, very popular in many parts of the world.
There's a separate, active forum dedicated to these instruments: melodeon. net.
See here:🙂
And here:
Here's one in action:

Good luck!🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
Back