• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Help identifying accordion

rich_hill

Reaction score
Hi all, I am considering learning to play an accordion or melodeon. Looking online (FB Marketplace) this one is fairly local to me at £100. I wonder if anyone could provide some insights into it's likely provenance and quality. I'm considering making a small journey so I can hear it, perhaps learn something from the tone.

Any help and advice much appreciated.

1694294302663.png1694294319025.png1694294333581.png1694294346214.png

Kind regards,

Richard

Looks like a one row diatonic accordion which will limit what keys and styles of music you can approach on it. If that’s what you’re looking for and it’s in good functional condition (based on the pictures I wouldn’t be very confident it’s in good condition) then why not. This forum does have some members that are more familiar with diatonic instruments but I think most of us are more focused on chromatic instruments. General rule of thumb certain traditional music styles can be more authentically played on diatonic instruments but chromatic instruments are more flexible for multiple styles. Diatonic instruments are bi-sonarous so produce different notes for squeezing or pulling on the bellows so an additional consideration.

I agree with Ben. It’s hard to judge given just these exterior pictures, but the condition of the bellows indicates it may need some serious maintenance. If you are able to, consider opening it up to check the condition of the reed wax and “leathers.” Good luck!!!!

I am considering learning to play an accordion or melodeon.
Welcome Rich!🙂
This is definitely a melodeon ( but there are many different kinds of melodeon).
The "accordion", as distinct from a melodeon, is another animal entirely
Some people own and play both, but they operate very differently and cover different musical genres, although there is some overlap.
Playing one won't enable you to immediately play the other.
Generally, you'll need to decide which one you want to go for, as both will require considerable study.
Even then, each type of instrument is part of a whole group of broadly similar instruments comprising a whole family: i.e. there is a family of melodeon -like instruments and another (separate) family of accordion-like instruments,
Which particular instrument you choose would depend mainly on the kind of music you want to play and reference groups you want to identify with.
So, check out with your reference group what instrument/s they are using before buying anything at all!🙂
Rather than making the trip to see this particular melodeon, I'd enquire around your nearby "pubs"* to see if any of them are hosting Irish/Celtic music nights and turn up to those to see what goes on and talk to the "musos" about their instruments and ask to try them. 🤔🙂
Here's a one row melodeon in action:🙂
An Irish example:🙂
*An Australian pub or hotel is a public house or pub for short, in Australia, and is an establishment licensed to serve alcoholic drinks for consumption on the premises. They may also provide other services, such as entertainment, meals and basic accommodation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
Looks like a one row diatonic accordion which will limit what keys and styles of music you can approach on it. If that’s what you’re looking for and it’s in good functional condition (based on the pictures I wouldn’t be very confident it’s in good condition) then why not. This forum does have some members that are more familiar with diatonic instruments but I think most of us are more focused on chromatic instruments. General rule of thumb certain traditional music styles can be more authentically played on diatonic instruments but chromatic instruments are more flexible for multiple styles. Diatonic instruments are bi-sonarous so produce different notes for squeezing or pulling on the bellows so an additional consideration.
thank you Ben, appreciate these insights

I agree with Ben. It’s hard to judge given just these exterior pictures, but the condition of the bellows indicates it may need some serious maintenance. If you are able to, consider opening it up to check the condition of the reed wax and “leathers.” Good luck!!!!
thanks Tom, good considerations to take on board

Welcome Rich!🙂
This is definitely a melodeon ( but there are many different kinds of melodeon).
The "accordion", as distinct from a melodeon, is another animal entirely
Some people own and play both, but they operate very differently and cover different musical genres, although there is some overlap.
Playing one won't enable you to immediately play the other.
Generally, you'll need to decide which one you want to go for, as both will require considerable study.
Even then, each type of instrument is part of a whole group of broadly similar instruments comprising a whole family: i.e. there is a family of melodeon -like instruments and another (separate) family of accordion-like instruments,
Which particular instrument you choose would depend mainly on the kind of music you want to play and reference groups you want to identify with.
So, check out with your reference group what instrument/s they are using before buying anything at all!🙂
Rather than making the trip to see this particular melodeon, I'd enquire around your nearby "pubs"* to see if any of them are hosting Irish/Celtic music nights and turn up to those to see what goes on and talk to the "musos" about their instruments and ask to try them. 🤔🙂
Here's a one row melodeon in action:🙂
An Irish example:🙂
*An Australian pub or hotel is a public house or pub for short, in Australia, and is an establishment licensed to serve alcoholic drinks for consumption on the premises. They may also provide other services, such as entertainment, meals and basic accommodation.
Thanks Dingo40, excellent advice. Love the style of the Irish reel :)

rich hill: I doubt if the value of this, apparently unidentified, instrument is worth anything near a hundred pounds. Any instrument, even a fraction the apparent age of this one, require costly overhaul, repair and maintenance. Even without a look inside it is apparent the bellows and treble pallets will likely need attention. Unless you intend to repair it yourself I suspect this instrument could kill off any enthusiasm you might have to play. I recommend you look elsewhere to spend your money and look at 'melodeon.net' for advice.

rich hill: I doubt if the value of this, apparently unidentified, instrument is worth anything near a hundred pounds. Any instrument, even a fraction the apparent age of this one, require costly overhaul, repair and maintenance. Even without a look inside it is apparent the bellows and treble pallets will likely need attention. Unless you intend to repair it yourself I suspect this instrument could kill off any enthusiasm you might have to play. I recommend you look elsewhere to spend your money and look at 'melodeon.net' for advice.
thanks boxplayer4000, really helpful

That's a German one-row melodeon, probably dating from around the 1920s. These instruments were pretty poorly built in the first place, and most of them haven't stood up to the test of time. They were pumped out of Saxony en masse, and many of them were exported to the UK, where they turn up in antiques shops and online. That model is only a basic one as well, with two reeds and one stop to change the sound (the other stop is likely a dummy). I personally wouldn't touch it with a bargepole unless it was under £20. If you're after a budget one row, look for an old Hohner. The model 1040 (shown below) comes up for sale regularly, often for cheaper than the one you're looking at. They're better quality, more likely to be in good condition, and hold value better too. Of course, always check that the thing works before you commit to buying it!
1694340496971.jpeg

I know this thread is fairly old now, but if you're still looking for a melodeon - and if you're based in Peterborough - you could try the East Anglian Traditional Music Trust. I've just remembered that they have an instrument rental scheme, and you can hire a one or two row Hohner melodeon for a very reasonable rate. I thought I'd say this just in case!

Thanks again, Squeeze Box of Delights, a nice thought to share. I actually attended an event they were part of in Stowmarket recently, it was excellent.

Back