• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Help! Elkavox 83 set up

well done..
and
OMG it still works
It is showing it's age some... the little creaks and cracks in the joints... lol
I'd love to get it to someone that really knows their thing and go over it with a fine tooth comb and replace any aged components to prevent it from dying a quiet death... at least during my lifetime. :)

My first thought was "its so light!" (playing the Morino and Gola built up some muscle in me... haha!), and second was a flood of fond memories!

Last edited:
Once again, above and beyond the call of duty, Jerry. (y)
Even though I don't have an Elkavox, I watched it all the way through and marvel at your expertise and willingness to help.
Thoroughly enjoyed it-especially the rendition demonstrating this wonderful sound

Thanks gents, it's pretty evident that taking the 4-5 hours to make such a video is fun for me to do (it's like relaxation therapy for me), and besides, I was really curious as to if it all worked. I play the Elka a bit more often just to blow some air through the reeds, but rarely set up the full package, its nice to listen to and very pleasant. Every accordion I own has a story and is special to me, that's why it sits on my shelf.

Just as a heads up, I recorded all the tracks seperately on the QSC Touchmix digital mixer then tossed it in to my DAW and balanced out the levels a touch. I don't want anyone to think it was like "perfect" sounding being recorded on my cellphone camera's mics just like that!

You're too modest Jerry.
Unless the initial recording is darned good, no amount of post processing is going to make the proverbial silk purse
For sure. On the other hand, good recording equipment and postprocessing can retouch balancing issues and make up for more than what you lose when recording (or even for listening from any kind of distance instead of being the player). When you start recording, you are more often than not disappointed just how much is lost compared to what you remember doing.

When you start with the silk purse already, it's doubly annoying when you come out with something lacklustre. So I am not surprised that Jerry of all people has a heap of equipment for making good recordings. Being accurate and then being able to add some polish really pays off for him.

I have to make do with polishing my sow ears, but it prepares me for the time when someone asks me what to do with silk purses…

Digital recording and mic’s under the grill of an accordion for the acoustic side for me rules and is turning out to be my favourite method, however having external mic’s in a controlled environment is good too. I just fight more with the floor standing mic’s than the internal ones to get what I want.

And yes, as David mentioned, having a boatload of recording options (well, 3 great hardware options in my case) does help.

As promised, here you go:

I hope it helps!
Thank you so much Jerry.

The time and effort that you took to film and edit this video is greatly appreciated. I couldn't have asked for anything more and I would have been at a complete loss without your knowledge and experience. I can now label everything accordingly and store all the electronics for use in the future. Probably pull out every now and then just to make sure everything still works. There's definitely a very loooong road ahead of me before I come anywhere close to having the skill required to play it as you have. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Set-up now became the easiest part. 😂 The rest of it is just a tad overwhelming, as expected due to being previously warned. Best to play accoustically for now as suggested.

Once again, thank you.

Thank you so much Jerry.
You are welcome, it was fun to do.
I kind of like the "Ventura method" after thinking about it, just dive in head first, listen to it and at the same time start the learning process, each aspect is a ton of fun.

Good luck and keep us updated... maybe even post a little video yourself of anything that you'd want to share. :)

it is great to see this little project has been successful
and gotten you closer to your Dad's world

music is a bridge in many ways

Back