• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hello from an accordionist newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeriJan

Reaction score
Hi.

After thinking about it now and then over the years I have now decided to learn how to play the accordion. I havent played music before except for a few years of guitar lessons about 45 years ago. I can read notes enough to have it as a support to learn how to melody but at the moment I cant read and interpret the notes fast enough to be able to play directly after them, I need to practice that and my ability to play by ear.

I live on a farm in Gävle, Sweden, where I have opportunities to hide and exercise without being too intrusive to the neighbors. I travel some in my job and stay in hotels but I dont think the room neighbors will be happy if you practice in the room. However, the hotel evenings are good exercise time instead of watching TV, thats why I bought a Roland V-Accordion so I can practice whenever I want without disturbing anyone.

I ordered a CBA, a Roland FR-4xb, a couple of weeks ago and I received it last Friday and spend the weekend getting acquainted with the accordion. Last night I managed to play a small simple Walts using both treble and bass, only 6 different tones with right hand and C & G tones & chords on the bass but its a start.

Im looking forward to my new life as an accordionist. :)

Regards
Jan

Welcome, Jan! The more you practice, the better you’ll get, and then nobody Wil complain about your practicing!

Welcome to your new life ? We started with an FR3 XB and have found it a totally fascinating instrument. Enjoy!

Hello Jan, 

Welcome here on the forum! 

My free advice for CBA or PA starters is :
Do an online search for numbered notation systems. 

These notation systems are far easier to learn than traditional sheet music notation. 
No interpretation issues with the Souhaitty, Rousseau, Galin, Paris, Cheve notation systems.

Welcome and best of luck Jan!

Thank You for Your replies. 
Its my wifes birthday today and this morning I played Ja må hon leva...,  (a Swedish version of Happy birthday to You) on the accordion. She was surprised since she didnt know that was the song I practiced last night with the headphones on.

Im using this new (2017) Swedish book and CD to learn playing, http://www.dragspelsskola.se/ds_english.html, its using numbering and easy base notations.
Accordion = Dragspel in Swedish.

:)

welcome and congratulations on your effort for her birthday

when I try that my wife is also surprised and gives me a painful look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back