• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hear yourself as others hear you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo40

Been here for ages!
Reaction score
Ever wonder how your accordion sounds to your audience??
Aside from having someone else playing it, try this.
Sit yourself facing into a corner where two plain walls meet at a right angle, about 2 metres
( yards) out from the actual corner.
Now play!
That's pretty much it: it should be close to how you sound to a listener.

Sit yourself facing into a corner where two plain walls meet at a right angle, about 2 metres
Now play!
That's a good tip! Thanks. This also helps people who think their bass side isn't loud enough as with the reflection from the walls the balance will be more even and more realistic.
The only thing that won't match how you sound to a listener is that left and right are reversed. Someone listening from closeby (sitting opposite to you) will hear the keyboard side on the left and the bass side on the right.

Paul,
"The only thing that won't match how you sound to a listener is that left and right are reversed. Someone listening from closeby (sitting opposite to you) will hear the keyboard side on the left and the bass side on the right."
I'm not so sure ?
Since the walls are at 45 degrees to you, the left hand sound is reflected across the angle of the corner, hits your right hand wall at 45 degrees and is then reflected back at you from the right hand side.
The same thing happens to the right hand( in reverse).
Hence, the "polarities" should be reversed, and (allowing for some contamination) you should now hear your right hand with your left ear and your left hand with your right ear.
Anyway, this principle works very well if wanting to see how your face looks to your friends: just look into the corner formed by two mirrors held at right angles to each other!?
(Of course, with the accordion, there's contamination with the sound coming directly from the instrument to your ears by the shortest route)

You can record your accordion and play it back, or listen to it in certain areas but while wearing the accordion and listening by
your self is deceiving. There is an old tried & true method of determining the volume & quality of your accordions sound.
The method requires 2 accordionists and the results will somtimes be rewarding and somtimes a disapointment.
you will need another accordionist for this method. 1 of you to play & 1 to sit at least 10 feet away and listen to the box.
You then reverse positions and repeat a the performance. In all cases your accordion will sound much different than while its
worn.

Now play!

Good tip. I'll have to try it!

Do you have any tricks for going the other way around and making the audience hear what I think I sound like? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back