• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

"Harmony" 4/5 Accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waterfall keys began disappearing in the 40's here in the US & Italy.
WW II accordion production suffered in the US & Italy until the end of the war. Normal production started again after 1945 and
accordions with waterfall keys ceased to appear on the new models. As in Germany accordions with waterfall keyboards appeared
until the early 50's.
Indeed, but even a bit later. The Hohner Morino M series was still made in Germany and had a waterfall keyboard. The Morino N series came in the 60's and was made by Excelsior in Italy. My Hohner model table says the N came in 1968. That is a bit late, but it indicates that the M with its waterfall keyboard was still being made at least in the early 60s.

Well, the accordion arrived today! Have a bunch of zoom meetings for college so I've not opened up the box, but the box looks to be in good condition.

Here she is! It's a LMMH accordion.

Something really cool is that there are 4 options you can choose from with the bass machine from the two switches - I originally thought there was only two settings. You can lock all the reeds out except for the highest tuned ones, which turns the bass into what sounds like the piccolo setting for the treble side.

Here's the order (from left to right) of the treble register switches. Clarinet, Bassoon, Piccolo, Bandoneon, Master, Accordion, Organ, Harmonium, Violin.

Here are some pictures while I had the accordion apart to inspect everything. Looks like the reeds are handmade reeds, judging from the domed rivets on each reed.

Very versatile!

Attachments

• IMG_2142.jpg
    IMG_2142.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2145 (1).jpg
    IMG_2145 (1).jpg
    359 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Did you remove a reed block from the bass side?

Aye. I wanted to inspect the reeds closer under better lighting.

One of the things I forgot to mention was how lightweight this accordion is. My 3/5 Princetti weighs a lot more, but that might be due to the huge sound chamber built into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back