• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Good Oktoberfest tunes?

Since a few people mentioned it in this thread, I thought I'd just re-iterate that there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing Slovenian polkas and waltzes (that is, ones from Slovenia) which are known to German speakers as 'Oberkrainer' music. There is an overlap between Oberkrainer and Austrian popular folk music (Volksmusik), as a lot of the modern Volksmusik style has taken inspiration from Slovenia (bass guitar or baritone, short gypsy-swing-like rhythm guitar, and piano accordion or diatonic button accordion/Steirische harmonika), and bands from both Slovenia, Austria and Bavaria will play at each other's concerts and festivals.

Some 'staples':
Trompetenecho by Avsenik (Slo: Na golici), Auf der autobahn by Avsenik (Slo: Na avtocesti), Am wochenende by Mihelic (Slo: Ob koncu tedna), Tante mizzi by Avsenik (Slo: V hrasah mam pa tetko), Tiroler Buam Polka and Zillertaler Schurzenjager popularised by Zillertaler Schurzenjager, Pretuler Polka (a traditional Austrian polka), Timple Boarischer by Zillertaler Schurzenjager, Bohmischer Traum, Bohmicher Liebe, Wir grussen euch by Die Molltaler, Gretl Boarischer (a traditional Austrian boarischer), and some waltzes like Seerosen Walzer by Avsenik (Slo: Cvetoci Lokvanj), Tam Kjer Murke Cveto by Avsenik, Gurktaler Walzer (a traditional Austrian waltz), La mula de parenzo (an Istrian folk song from Croatia which gets played in Slovenia and Austria as well) and the list goes on.

Some songs which might grab people's attention but might be a little more technically demanding and require more practice:
Polka Express by Burnik, Guten Morgen by Burnik (Slo: Dobro jutro), Mooskirchner Polka by Die Mooskirchner, Flott aufgspielt by Erich Moser.

This is of course in addition to older songs like the drinking/toast songs and Schneewalzer, etc.
While Oberkrainer music is very popular among people who live in Germany, Slovenia, Austria, etc., or who have lived there at some time and attended several festivals, it is not as popular here in the USA as the older style tunes, like those mentioned by Jeff. It's good to have a few Oberkrainer staples in you Oktoberfest lineup, because that will appeal to those who've experienced the style in Germany, but I'd play at least 2 of the old style German music for each one Oberkrainer song, for the typical US audience. If you happen to be playing for an audience of mostly German people, more Oberkrainer music should work. Is Oberkrainer more popular down under, Phillipe?

To keep your list of Oberkrainer staples from being too excessive for a new Oktoberfest player who is playing for the typical US audience, I'd whittle it down to:
Trompetenecho by Avsenik (Slo: Na golici), Auf der autobahn by Avsenik (Slo: Na avtocesti), Tante mizzi by Avsenik (Slo: V hrasah mam pa tetko), Es ist so Shon ein Muzikant zu sein; and these waltzes: Tam Kjer Murke Cveto by Avsenik and Cakala Bom.

I used to play that one to give people heart attacks... LOL
Its naturally a quick polka style to dance to, but the last "dal capo al fine" I start speeding it up more and more until I have the people gasping for breath...so not fair, but so much fun... haha!

Back