• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Getting the most from the bellows on a Roland digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Butcher

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
(For those who would be willing to share some tips on best use of the bellows. My personal tip would be, ignore the bellows wheel that makes a hissing sound, use the bellows curve function, pick the lightest setting, try it for a bit, get used to it, then if it's too light, go one step heavier till you're happy. I now use the second lightest. The tip to turn up the volume but play as if you were playing quietly also has been useful.)

Hi Matt; If you let me know with model you have I might have more suggestions for you. JIM D.

To be honest I don't have any problems with it - I only set this thread up because when I was posting about something else to do with Rolands the discussion developed into a debate about Roland bellows, whether they were any good, and if they were what was the best thing to do with them. I find them fine to be honest.

Thinking about it, the one thing missing so far is the overall dynamic range on the instrument. So I have no problem getting the detail of the dynamics that I'm looking for, but some difficulty in getting the overall contrast between the loudest and quietest notes that I would get on an acoustic instrument. I guess this would be addressed by turning up the volume (i.e. probably not in my terraced house at night...)

I am more interested at the moment in developing what I can do with the sounds, which is what my other thread was about. But I am sure I will be calling on your advice one way or another. Thank you.

Thanks for starting this thread, Matt.
I would like to ask what is the best settings on an FR3S to simulate an authentic bellows feel - ideally without the hiss of leaking air noise from the bellows valve?

What follows, I've posted before but lost it:

As suggested (I think by JIMD ) I have set bellows curve to x-light, put vol to max and shut off the "blead" on the air button.
I'd be really grateful for more ideas.
Specifically:
The dynamic range is v good using Roland 'phones but less so thro' the speakers. Is there an output setting anywhere or is it just that the signal is not strong enough to drive the speakers any harder?
Many thanks

dunlustin said:
What follows, Ive posted before but lost it:

As suggested (I think by JIMD ) I have set bellows curve to x-light, put vol to max and shut off the blead on the air button.
Id be really grateful for more ideas.
Specifically:
The dynamic range is v good using Roland phones but less so thro the speakers. Is there an output setting anywhere or is it just that the signal is not strong enough to drive the speakers any harder?
Many thanks
Jim asked what model in an earlier post, so is that for an FR3s, too?

And how do you shut off the bleed on the air button? Is that the bellows wheel round the air release button?

(1) The wheel around the air button is a bleed valve . (2) There is more that one solution for bellows behavior on FR-3's and FR-7's just let me know what model you have . Rolands also have a bellows adjustment under the grill that a Roland tech. can adjust for you if you have bellows behavior problems. JIM D.

I should have said: mine's a FR1X-B
I did read somewhere that the bigger models have a more powerful amp.

Also if you're thinking of a buying the piano set-up, it's worth knowing that although the keyboard is short, you can shift up and down one octave giving an extra 2.
It's just the press of a button (well 2 in fact). I Don't play piano acc. but I'm guessing that's not bad for most popular music.
Also you can change keys ( a total of 11 semi-tones) which I guess you could use to put the keyboard in the middle of the range if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back