• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Fundamental bass & keyboard sounding two notes on key press

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anonymoos

Hello! I live in Australia, have been playing accordion for a few months and just signed up to the forum. My accordion has been acting strange...
A few days ago it (a 60-button Baile) suddenly started sounding two notes an octave apart on all the fundamental bass buttons and all the treble keys (only on the default register, the others are fine). My SO (who is more mechanically minded) has taken it apart before to repair a minor problem with the help of the internet, so I'm planning on asking him to give it a shot again before looking for a repairer (not many where I live). Has anyone come across this before or know what could be causing it? I haven't found much online about this particular problem. Is there any chance it is a simple fix?
I can still play it but it just sounds a little busy...

As is what is very common with these made in China box's is that the reed blocks inside the accordion will shift easily. If you open the box you will find the reed blocks have shifted out of line.

How can the bass buttons sound an octave apart? There isn't a full octave in the bass. Or is it free bass?

He's bought a Chinese accordion without knowing how bad they can be. I think what he means it sounds an octave apart with the racket that bass notes make together in a chord with reed blocks out of alignment.

The reed blocks in a 4 reed bass machine have 1 set of low 2 sets of middle and 1 set of high. The low,middle and high sets are an octave apart and sometimes 2 octave's depending on the make and model of the accordion.

JIM D. said:
As is what is very common with these made in China boxs is that the reed blocks inside the accordion will shift easily. If you open the box you will find the reed blocks have shifted out of line.

Thanks, I appreciate the help!

goldtopia said:
Hes bought a Chinese accordion without knowing how bad they can be. I think what he means it sounds an octave apart with the racket that bass notes make together in a chord with reed blocks out of alignment.

I didnt buy it, it was my late mothers from her teens living in China. I know theyre not great quality but its got some sentimental value and Id like to learn on it.
Edit: just to clarify, the simultaneously sounding twin-notes on a single key/button press are literally an octave apart (not a chord).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back