• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Free bass on digitals

Mike K

Reaction score
As I understand digital can support different formats of free bass. I play giulietti free bass and used to C and F being marked by indentation. How is this handled on rolands?

FR bass buttons are easily removabe individually, to switch color
positions, or safely mark a surface at the workbench,
then put them back on

FR bass buttons are easily removabe individually, to switch color
positions, or safely mark a surface at the workbench,
then put them back on
If I remember correctly, the C and F markings exactly align for C and B system. The C and F swap positions though.
But as you mentioned, they are configurable with removable button tops.

Like this:

Before:
1712360922882.png

After (I added a top with a little Swarovski crystal, parts courtesy of Jim D):
1712360985113.png
I set them in the location of where every C-note on the bottom row was placed in a C-system Free bass.

Is it playable? Yes, many do and quite well too. My personal opinion is that I don't like the feel and placement of the buttons, gives me craps after a few minutes of playing it, something that I don't experience on my Hohner acoustic accordions.

Just a note... on a converter style Free Bass you don't normally touch the first 2 top rows, so where those indentations or markers are, are of no real concern anyway. To directly answer your question of how is it handled... in the exact same way as on an acoustic converter Free Bass accordion.

Back