• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

FR8X--Export Of Sets And User Programs To USB Flash Memory Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

John M

Site Supporter
Reaction score
In reading the FR-8X documentation, it took me a long time to get used to the terminology. Understanding the file structure on the 8X, helps to understand the terminology and how the 8X functions.

• A User Program contains all the configurations for the 8X Modes:
Right Hand -> Accordion, Orch 1, Orch 2, Organ
Left Hand -> Bass & Chord, Free Bass, Orch Bass, Orch Chord, Orch Free Bass
Selection of User Program is by one of the right hand Register Switches when in User Program Mode

• A memory bank consists of 14 User Programs
There are 100 memory banks that will store 1400 User Programs

How to Export Sets and User Programs:
• Export TO USB -- Utility Function 15.8

There are two Types (Set & User Program):

SET
has two selections:
All
Single

USER PROGRAM has four selections:
All -> Exports all 100 memory banks
Bank -> Exports the memory bank No. that is selected. This has 14 User Programs.
Single -> Exports the bank No. and User Program No. that is selected
List -> Exports the User Program Lists that are created

Export Process
- The 8X screen will flash between (“Export” & “Press Write to Proceed”)
- After selection Press “Write” button
- Screen will display Export On USB.
. . . Press “Write Button “again
- Screen will display the file name
. . . Press “Write Button “again
- Screen will display that it is “Writing”
. . . When complete, screen will display “Operation Complete”
. . . . . NOTE: If you don’t get “Operation Complete”, the file has not been saved to the USB memory.

• File Designations Assigned by the 8X When Stored on a USB memory stick
. . . User Program -> File type is (*.UPG)
. . . Memory Bank -> File type is (*.UPB)

• Examples :
001_008_UPG.UPG______User Program in Bank 1, Register 8
002_UPG_Bank.UPB_____All 14 programs in Bank 2
FR-8X_SET_ALL_FR8_____All the sets in the FR-8X
UPG_ALL.UPA____________All the 1400 User Programs in the 100 Banks

John M.

Last edited:
I have a video that explains it all too, its not quite ready for release, but maybe I'll cut it in to sections and release as small "chunks"

I have a video that explains it all too, its not quite ready for release, but maybe I'll cut it in to sections and release as small "chunks"
Are options available setting bellows tension etc or is that done manually?

I have found that the 8 settings of bellows expression on the FR-8X, give a wide range of choices. I use the PC Editor. For me, the "on screen" editor under "System No. 14.1" is confusing. I expect the choices should be the same as with the PC Editor. Anyway, here are the 8 bellows expression choices with the Editor:

Fixed High
Low
Medium
High
Fixed Low + Bellows
Fixed Med + Bellows
Fixed High + Bellows
Bellows

As JerryPH said, these settings are all retained, when you do a "save"

John M.

I have found that the 8 settings of bellows expression on the FR-8X, give a wide range of choices. I use the PC Editor. For me, the "on screen" editor under "System No. 14.1" is confusing. I expect the choices should be the same as with the PC Editor. Anyway, here are the 8 bellows expression choices with the Editor:

Fixed High
Low
Medium
High
Fixed Low + Bellows
Fixed Med + Bellows
Fixed High + Bellows
Bellows

As JerryPH said, these settings are all retained, when you do a "save"

John M.
Hi John ,
As a matter of interest, which one of the above settings would you recommend as the most suitable to use when using the instrument for accordion music ..French musette. Tangos etc

None of the settings have any direct effect on how the accordion sounds in any genre, this is all about how the bellows feels, and even with my lower level of experience, I could easily play a Tango or French style of music with it using any of these settings, the only thing that changes is how the bellows feels (stiff, light, lots of movement, no movement and everything in between).

The bellows settings are very much a personal choice and even myself I find I change them a little here or thereat times. The most important thing I would want to set is expectations. A V-accordion is a V-accordion, and though it is similar to an acoustic accordion, they will never feel the same and it is an unrealistic expectation to think that one can make either feel like the other.

None of the settings have any direct effect on how the accordion sounds in any genre, this is all about how the bellows feels, and even with my lower level of experience, I could easily play a Tango or French style of music with it using any of these settings, the only thing that changes is how the bellows feels (stiff, light, lots of movement, no movement and everything in between).

The bellows settings are very much a personal choice and even myself I find I change them a little here or thereat times. The most important thing I would want to set is expectations. A V-accordion is a V-accordion, and though it is similar to an acoustic accordion, they will never feel the same and it is an unrealistic expectation to think that one can make either feel like the other.

Thanks Jerry, I appreciate you last point

Hi John ,
As a matter of interest, which one of the above settings would you recommend as the most suitable to use when using the instrument for accordion music ..French musette. Tangos etc
Hi Mockie,

As Jerry PH said, the bellows settings are very much personal choice. I use them to adjust the volume balance between the right hand, left hand and the left hand bass and chord.

An example setting for my Bassoon setting is:
Right Hand Accordion Type->[A]Liturgica, 16' Reed On-Cassotto, Volume-> STD, All other reeds Off.
Left Hand Orchestra Bass Tone->#63-Wood+FlessBs, Octave->1, Touch->Fixed Med+Bellows, Volume->-40,
. . . Sound Edit Release->15
Left Hand Orchestra Chord Tone->#39-Ac.Guitar, Octave->1, Touch->Fixed Low+Bellows, Volume->-40,
. . . Sound Edit Attack->5

For a Musette setting I use:
Right Hand Accordion Cajun, (8', 8'-, 8'+) Reeds On ->STD, Volume -> STD, All other Reeds OFF,
. . . Mus.Detune->North Europe,8', Reed On-Cassotto, [A]Liturgica, Volume-> STD, All other reeds Off.
Left Hand Bass & Chord Type->Classic 3 (16', 8')->Bass, Volume->STD; (8'-4')->Chord, Volume->STD;
. . . 4'->Chord, Volume->-5; 2'->Chord, Volume->-5
Left Hand Orchestra Bass Tone->#65-Bowed, Octave->1, Volume->-40, Sound Edit Release->-1

There are many "fine tunings" you can do with the Roland. Note also, that the same available settings are not available with certain Tones, i.e; Tone #65-Bowed doesn't have the "Touch" settings for the bellows.

Also, the speakers make a big difference in how you set up the accordion. I always play mine through my Bose L1 Compact. If I used the internal Roland speakers I would have different settings. To me, I have to make the tones brighter when using the Roland speakers.

John M.

Hi Mockie,

As Jerry PH said, the bellows settings are very much personal choice. I use them to adjust the volume balance between the right hand, left hand and the left hand bass and chord.

An example setting for my Bassoon setting is:
Right Hand Accordion Type->[A]Liturgica, 16' Reed On-Cassotto, Volume-> STD, All other reeds Off.
Left Hand Orchestra Bass Tone->#63-Wood+FlessBs, Octave->1, Touch->Fixed Med+Bellows, Volume->-40,
. . . Sound Edit Release->15
Left Hand Orchestra Chord Tone->#39-Ac.Guitar, Octave->1, Touch->Fixed Low+Bellows, Volume->-40,
. . . Sound Edit Attack->5

For a Musette setting I use:
Right Hand Accordion Cajun, (8', 8'-, 8'+) Reeds On ->STD, Volume -> STD, All other Reeds OFF,
. . . Mus.Detune->North Europe,8', Reed On-Cassotto, [A]Liturgica, Volume-> STD, All other reeds Off.
Left Hand Bass & Chord Type->Classic 3 (16', 8')->Bass, Volume->STD; (8'-4')->Chord, Volume->STD;
. . . 4'->Chord, Volume->-5; 2'->Chord, Volume->-5
Left Hand Orchestra Bass Tone->#65-Bowed, Octave->1, Volume->-40, Sound Edit Release->-1

There are many "fine tunings" you can do with the Roland. Note also, that the same available settings are not available with certain Tones, i.e; Tone #65-Bowed doesn't have the "Touch" settings for the bellows.

Also, the speakers make a big difference in how you set up the accordion. I always play mine through my Bose L1 Compact. If I used the internal Roland speakers I would have different settings. To me, I have to make the tones brighter when using the Roland speakers.

John M.
Thanks John, I'll study all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back