• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

FR4/FR8 audio out jacks - mono or stereo?

The FR1x does have MIDI in but via USB only!
You need to change the system parameter „External Sequencer“ (ESq) to „yes“ to use this. The internal keyboards of the FR1x will then be switched off, so change the value back afterwards.
And because you will be using a computer in a somewhat studio setting anyway — to record and send the MIDI data — USB connection should not be an issue.

ps.: Note that MIDI IN only reacts on a subset of the whole MIDI possibilties. See MIDI implementation chart in the manual page 72ff. Therefore I‘m not 100% sure if the volume / expression / dynamic of the performance will be preserved.
neat! thanks I need to test this myself then

would be useless if the expression cannot be used. this is the main reason for having this thing as a superb midi-controller at my desk

How I wish the accordion was as popular here as it is there… you could barely fill a restaurant or small hall here… stadiums filled to hear an accordion? Sadly not in this universe. :(

Reactions: Tom
I would suggest the "bleed" is in fact the efx. Not the sounds. Most EFX are not pannable...well at the lower end of the gear price scale. And at this price scale (the FR series) Roland would deem it unnecessary to allow panned efx.

Just a guess :) - try it though, turn off all EFX and then hard pan your left and right hand. I'd hazard a guess you'll get full separation.

bad guess

the bleed has been well documented since the FR7, it was
not breaking news here a month ago, and it was not speculation.

it was a choice made by the Roland design/engineering team

bad guess

the bleed has been well documented since the FR7, it was
not breaking news here a month ago, and it was not speculation.

it was a choice made by the Roland design/engineering team
in the internal speakers, yes?

How about when they are turned off and you are using the left and right jacks to a pair of speakers?

How about when they are turned off and you are using the left and right jacks to a pair of speakers?
No difference. 30 seconds of testing would have shown you that. ;)

As I mentioned, if one really needs 100% left/right separation it is possible, just takes a helluva lot of work in the editor.

No difference. 30 seconds of testing would have shown you that. ;)

As I mentioned, if one really needs 100% left/right separation it is possible, just takes a helluva lot of work in the editor.
well, no - not really 30 seconds - I would need to set up a stereo PA system and then run cabling and power etc....not really 30 seconds ;)

And it is very VERY easy to edit in the editor. Not a "helluva lot of work" at all.

Do you always give "smart-arse" answers m8 or what? Noticed this behavior on several of your posts.

Being a working muso, and not a bedroom jockey, my gear is mostly packed ready for the next show. It was a simple question.

Again the old adage is proven, "no such thing as a stupid question, but there are plenty of stupid answers"

i dunno.. questions that can be answered with a tiny amount of
reading the instructions first are kinda insulting.. arguing from
pure speculation opinions instead of legitimate research is a bore..

i'm done

iggy invoked
Well no, not covered in the manual! Where exactly does it say "you cannot completely separate the audio signal into left and right channels?"

Think I'l apply the same to you m8, as well as you buddy jerry!

well, no - not really 30 seconds - I would need to set up a stereo PA system and then run cabling and power etc....not really 30 seconds ;)

And it is very VERY easy to edit in the editor. Not a "helluva lot of work" at all.

Do you always give "smart-arse" answers m8 or what? Noticed this behavior on several of your posts.

Being a working muso, and not a bedroom jockey, my gear is mostly packed ready for the next show. It was a simple question.

Again the old adage is proven, "no such thing as a stupid question, but there are plenty of stupid answers"
You're actually dissing JerryPH? Ai yi yi!

1. Yeah, 30 seconds is all it would take anyone on this board to hear that there is no full stereo separation. I am sorry it takes you such a long time to setup your PA.

2. Yes sure, 5-10 minutes to do ONE REGISTER in the editor is no chore... but there are 1400 possibilities JUST in the UPGs and 1400 possibilities in the sets. Yeah, that equals exactly a "helluva lot of work". Try it yourself, let us know!

3. If you feel that there is no such thing as a stupid question... well... you just learned otherwise... lol You are now welcome to find your own "stupid answers". I've never seen such a lazy man in my life. I've been here years longer than you and didn't post 1/10th the number of questions you have in the last MONTH... and 90% of your questions ARE answered in the manual.

There is a lot to be said about not needing to be spoon fed every step of the way.

I'm following Ventura... exit stage left where any of your future comments and questions are concerned.
Welcome to my ignore list! :)

Enjoy the silence!!

Last edited:
1. Yeah, 30 seconds is all it would take anyone on this board to hear that there is no full stereo separation.
You're too slow, Jerry. :)

I happen to have an adapter of 2 6.5 mm mono to 1 3.5mm stereo. Using it with a pair of in-ear headphones, listening to one side at the time, I could hear the "bleeding." It did take me 30 seconds. But that included the time fetching for the adapter.

I don't have an FR-4x/8x, just tried it on my FR-1xb.

Adapter.jpg

You're too slow, Jerry. :)

I happen to have an adapter of 2 6.5 mm mono to 1 3.5mm stereo. Using it with a pair of in-ear headphones, listening to one side at the time, I could hear the "bleeding." It did take me 30 seconds. But that included the time fetching for the adapter.

I don't have an FR-4x/8x, just tried it on my FR-1xb.

Adapter.jpg
Ah yes, but likely also had youth on your side to run to the other room and find the adapter, if you add the extra seconds for age, you will see my calculation is very accurate (lololol).

Back years ago when I got my 8X this irked me no end, coming from an Elka with 2 outputs for the acoustic and 4 outputs for the electric side. Today, not so much, Richard Noel did a good job improving on it and the others I found were not horrible. :)

… if you add the extra seconds for age….
Be careful, Jerry. That may work to my advantage 😁

I now use mainly my acoustic accordions. The Roland’s are played only when I don’t want to bother anyone (mostly my SWMO, who often doesn’t care).

Be careful, Jerry. That may work to my advantage 😁

I now use mainly my acoustic accordions. The Roland’s are played only when I don’t want to bother anyone (mostly my SWMO, who often doesn’t care).
I go through phases... acoustic, digital, acoustic, digital... its like a roller coaster sometimes.. I think I have the best internal balance between them, I am a perfect 50/50 split and fel life would suck without one AND the other. :)

Back