• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

FR-7X vs. FR-8x

ArtMustel

Reaction score
This is an hypothetical question since I would like to own a Roland V accordion but the FR-8X price is totally out of my budget. If some day I find an used FR-X7 in good condition, what would be a reasonable price to pay for it, and what I would miss for not acquiring the FR-8x? I mean important things regarding general use rather than more sophistication. Hope someone can help here, thanks!

Alan Sharkis

Reaction score
This is an hypothetical question since I would like to own a Roland V accordion but the FR-8X price is totally out of my budget. If some day I find an used FR-X7 in good condition, what would be a reasonable price to pay for it, and what I would miss for not acquiring the FR-8x? I mean important things regarding general use rather than more sophistication. Hope someone can help here, thanks!
There are a couple of negatives re- the 7x that have been discussed here and elsewhere — rhe LCD screen failures and the multi-conductor cable failures. It may be wise to check into the appropriate threads here before considering the purchase of a 7x.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There have been many used FR-7x's listed for sale in the past. Your best bet is to get one from a Roland Authorized Dealer. They take them for
trade ins quite frequently and offer them with a warranty for around $2500 to $3000 USD. The FR-7x screen problems are no longer a problem
as my good friend Mike Dubrovsky of Fla. is making a screen replacement that is larger and brighter than original. That original firing
cable is no longer necessary as I make a 24 volt power unit for them. There are many owners that prefer a FR-7x to a FR-8x (such as myself)
as it is lighter and smaller in size to a 8x. The 7x is louder than a 8x and can be tweaked with flash drives to mimic a 8x.
Best to call a few Roland Authorized Dealers to see if they have one in stock or put your self on a waiting list for a trade in.
You may start with https://www.falcettimusic.com/ Dial 413 204-5522 ask for Sam and tell him Jim sent you.

And just a note - many of you are familiar with Rich Noel ( a member here) Rich is one of us that prefers a 7x and uses it
for all performances. https://www.noelaccordion.com/ & https://www.noelaccordion.com/roland.html?

Last edited:

Alan Sharkis

Reaction score
There have been many used FR-7x's listed for sale in the past. Your best bet is to get one from a Roland Authorized Dealer. They take them for
trade ins quite frequently and offer them with a warranty for around $2500 to $3000 USD. The FR-7x screen problems are no longer a problem
as my good friend Mike Dubrovsky of Fla. is making a screen replacement that is larger and brighter than original. That original firing
cable is no longer necessary as I make a 24 volt power unit for them. There are many owners that prefer a FR-7x to a FR-8x (such as myself)
as it is lighter and smaller in size to a 8x. The 7x is louder than a 8x and can be tweaked with flash drives to mimic a 8x.
Best to call a few Roland Authorized Dealers to see if they have one in stock or put your self on a waiting list for a trade in.
You may start with https://www.falcettimusic.com/ Dial 413 204-5522 ask for Sam and tell him Jim sent you.

And just a note - many of you are familiar with Rich Noel ( a member here) Rich is one of us that prefers a 7x and uses it
for all performances. https://www.noelaccordion.com/ & https://www.noelaccordion.com/roland.html?
Good to know, Jim. I knew about the screen replacement, but I didn't know about the power unit. I was told that the cable had a spare conductor that could be used if another conductor broke, but that would mean that the user would have to know how to unsolder/solder or have an electronics tech or a friend with soldering skills. The power unit makes more sense.

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Tom

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to see one of them with warranty for $2500. Feel free to message me!

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Put your name on a Roland Authorized Dealers list for used Roland. trade in when available. They are all listed on the web.
Only buy from the dealers that have a "Roland Authorized Service Dept." Many do not !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom

JerryPH

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've had the chance to play the 7X about 5 times now... and I just prefer the 8X especially because the screen is way easier to see/use and a few other reasons. This opinion is definitely not shared by everyone. Not only does Richard Noel prefer the 7X, so does Cory Pesaturo. Matter of fact there is a TON more video out there with him on a 7X than the Evo, and a while back at a demo he was giving, his Evo was up for sale, but not his 7X.

Deals... they are out there if you look on a regular basis and are patient. I've had my 8X now since Nov 2016 (can't believe it's been 5 years already!), and it had been used a handful of times and still on it's first original charge when I picked it up, so it literally was "in new condition" and bought it for under 50% of what they cost locally back in 2016.

I was recently offered an amount that was a bit higher than what I paid for it, which was flattering considering the 5 years of use, but I am not interested in selling it. :)

Reactions: Tom