• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

FR-1x major issue

Ricach

Reaction score
First off, I did try the factory reset a couple times. The problem: With Bellow Curve set to 5-8, behaves as if fixed setting 1-4 with a major difference, pushing the bellows in quiets the sound. ( Pulling bellows is just like fixed mode). One time all notes decided to play at once and would not stop until I powered down. Major gremlins here. Wondering if there is a more advanced factory reset, or firmware reload possible.

Bellows Reset?
See near the end of the manual, Under Troubleshooting?

I have forgotten about that, needed to do that when I first got the accordion. It took a couple a times but the bellows are normal now, however now have a different problem. Notes get stuck on, sometimes sounding in 'fixed mode' and sometimes only when operating bellows. Wierd.

There is a lengthy discussion about stuck notes here: https://www.accordionists.info/threads/same-problem-on-fr7-7x-8x-crazy.3423/
along with an apparent, unexplainable, solution. (Fuse F1 - page 2)
My problem apparently only surfaced because while troubleshooting my bellows I was using the internal amplifier. I never perform with this on, going straight to the mixing board for sound. From the above thread the most common cause is when you 'overload' the system with too many notes, layers of sound, or just play loud (volume overload). When I play with internal amp on, volume is at 10 - playing 4-5 notes really loud ALWAYS recreates the problem. Going straight to mixer, volume usually about 3-5, works fine.

I have forgotten about that, needed to do that when I first got the accordion. It took a couple a times but the bellows are normal now, however now have a different problem. Notes get stuck on, sometimes sounding in 'fixed mode' and sometimes only when operating bellows. Wierd.
I had a problem with my fr3x with notes sounding intermittently.
Turned out to be a key switch worn out .
Replaced and now working perfectly.
Worth a thought.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a Roland Tech but anybody has a direct line to one I'd appreciate that. Through extensive testing to determine if there is a pattern to when this happens, playing hard is definitely an issue. But volume must be at 7 or more (for my 1x) for the internal powered speakers before the notes start to stick. But plug a pair of headphones into the headphone jack and crank it to 10 and no issues. For some reason the power amp in the accordion appears to be the culprit. I would think it's getting an audio signal by then, not midi, so no reason for information overload. My educated guess is that overloading the amp pulls down the power (voltage) enough to effect the midi circuitry. And that points to the voltage regulating circuitry. All this was using the internal batteries. I will hook up the power supply to see if I can duplicate it.

My service rep is waiting to hear back from Roland about this. However, seems to be a low battery issue because using the power supply or freshly charged batteries keeps the gremlins away.

still, it suggests something has deteriorated.

the reason for the low-voltage threshold shutoff we presume was engineered
in because it was needed to prevent problems (such as this one) and even
worse problems

so if this circuit is no longer doing it's job correctly, then this is kind of like
having a Power strip with a surge arrestor that has blown out.. you still
thiink you are protected, but..............

Back