• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Fel Calado on Coop Armoniche

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff de Limousin

Reaction score
I was pleased to find this video of Portugese accordionist Felisberto Calado . This is the first video Ive come across on Youtube of someone playing a Cooperativa Armoniche. This is very similar to the one I play but I wonder if he has a piccolo voice in the mix.
I just love this fairground organ sound.

<YOUTUBE id=47luEGMf3hc url=></YOUTUBE>

Every time I see older accordions being played (even when new), it amazes me how much air they take to generate those lovely tones. Now I loved the sound and the song and how it was played, but man... he is getting a good workout! :)

Yes there is a fair bit of air useage alright . I guess air tightness might not have been so good in the old times and this accordion has to be 80 years old. My own CoopƩ does not appear to use anything like this amount of air, but then I'm not trying to fill a dance hall .

I have one or two old ones that leak worse and others that are almost airtight... Mr. Calado's instrument is obviously well used!
Glad you like it Jerry.

JerryPH post_id=51022 time=1507057659 user_id=1475 said:
Every time I see older accordions being played (even when new), it amazes me how much air they take to generate those lovely tones. Now I loved the sound and the song and how it was played, but man... he is getting a good workout! :)

I once enjoyed a concert of an orchestra with mostly older players, all with also older instruments. It was fun to see that they would typically open the bellows for 2 or 3 measures, but always close in 1 measure. Massive air loss through between 50 and 100 old leaky pallets, more so than through the bellows which would cause air loss in both directions.
Replacing all the pallets is not a cheap repair. I once had it done (to an Atlantic IV N which is a model that always leaks air already through the bellows fastener clips) so I know it was not cheap. And the repairman used the wrong glue so twice I had a pallet fall out, once during a performance...grrrrrr... (No spare accordion in sight, but luckily someone had some crazy glue for a quick fix.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back