• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Fantini Fraud - Fantini Accordions - latest news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Burt

I have just joined this forum, having read the posting by Drazen (Croatia), lata1234, in March 2018 -Fantini Fraud - before I visited to Italy, Castelfidardo again in September. See:

https://www.accordionists.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5568

We have been in touch, and now I have new information to share about Fantini. Id ordered an accordion in August 2017 whilst in Castelfidardo, he made excuses and never delivered asking for more money, a total of 4,300 Euros. Please - no more advice about doing business in this way! Recently I have found 5 other people he has done the same thing to.

I noted a few misinformed remarks about the state of the Italian accordion makers business, and have to say it is healthy, though smaller than many years ago. I found the legal system to be useful, though short on consumer protection, and the Police willing to act, though quite when I do not know!

Id posted a warning last August on Facebook Accordion for Sale site, and have now visited Castelfidardo again to pick up my new Siwa & Figli student model chromatic and sort out Fantini. The new Siwa & Figli is superb, very light, and the family were very kind and hospitable to me whilst there.

Whilst there I heard of 5 others who Fantini had treated the same, all not in Italy. Drazen in Croatia (who was able to give me info and contact details for Fantini), Olga in Ireland, a French accordionist and others. I managed to find a good Italian lawyer, and having all the documents with me, he advised that Civil action was not worthwhile, but to place a complaint with the Police for fraud, which I did. Providing the complaint is within 3 months of the fraud (which is easy to state since I was still hoping to get my money at the time) then he will be told to pay by a judge (sell his car, house, whatever) or go to prison. I believe I have a firm case. My victims rights were given to me afterwards, and I note that being from overseas such a complaint can be lodged with your countrys Italian Consulate. So maybe in the future I will get some satisfaction!

On a humourous note, I told the lawyer of Fantinis home address, and he said: Right next to the Prison which it was! On another note, Fantini supplied a driver and interpreter for me last year, we became friends and kept in touch, and this year she held a party for me with her family and friends, and also showed me around the lovely area.

Meantime, the other Accordion makers are very upset about their good reputations, and I have assured them that I will tell the world that Fantini is alone in this. When Borsini (I think it was) went broke some time ago he took his website down, and I know some lost money from this. But at least he did the right thing. Fantini (a sole worker in a scruffy workshop, a new one just opened as he has moved yet again) still advertises hoping to trap the unwary. So please do not allow Fantini to influence your thoughts on the other artisans in the area. I have found them all to be friendly, honest and reliable, and keen to sell accordions. Flying from Australia to Italy (then on to England and France) costs a lot, but I was amazed to get a flight with Ryanair for AU $150 Ancona to London. Id encourage anyone who has not visited Castelfidardo and hinterland to do so for your next holiday!

Thanks for this latest information Dan.

I'm just wondering if you are the Dan Burt I used to know ,in Australia ? That Dan came from west country England, played the Melodeon and swore by the use of Powdered Graphite . I've still got the little plastic bottle of the stuff I obtained on that recommendation.

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your very well written account of your experiences with Fantini. I feel sure that the members of this forum will use your information wisely.

As for other manufacturers in that region, prudence dictates that we should be at least a little wary. Of course, there is also the matter of where components are actually made and assembled, and I think that some Italian manufactures should come clean about certain aspects of their business practices.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Geoff de Limousin post_id=63415 time=1539091229 user_id=1371 said:
Thanks for this latest information Dan.

Im just wondering if you are the Dan Burt I used to know ,in Australia ? That Dan came from west country England, played the Melodeon and swore by the use of Powdered Graphite . Ive still got the little plastic bottle of the stuff I obtained on that recommendation.
What do you use your powdered graphite for Geoff?? I also have a little bottle of the stuff and, apart from sticking it in keyholes, I cant think of any other use for it (accordion wise!!). :roll:

What do you use your powdered graphite for Geoff?? I also have a little bottle of the stuff and, apart from sticking it in keyholes, I cant think of any other use for it (accordion wise!!). :roll:
[/quote]

Well perhaps it is sufficient to say that little plastic (puffer) bottle which I must have bought forty years ago is sitting on the shelf above my work bench , alongside the glues, oils and polishes etc., and perhaps it is half full still. Yes it has been squirted into the odd keyhole but it could find a use where items rub togther ; accordion register sliders and bass mechanisms perhaps ?

Ill have a think about where I used it last.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back