• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Expression pedals and control pedals…need to be expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keymn

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Lately, I have heard interest in building expression/control pedals for the vaccordion. In my opinion, start with a push button control like Blueboard with an expression pedal input. You will find even the least expensive expression pedal like 30$ Maudio exp will sound smooth send control messages cc11 to the vaccordion. I have explained this in a couple of my videos…showing inexpensive solutions…

FR4x Roland Accordion | Using a Standard Expression Pedal | Irig Blueboard | Roland WM-1d Bluetooth

Expression Pedal w/IPhone | Roland Fr4x Accordion

What do you see as role of expression pedal vs bellows?

You get what you pay for ;) But the big difference between a cheap pedal and an expensive one is also the overall construction and durability.

You get what you pay for ;) But the big difference between a cheap pedal and an expensive one is also the overall construction and durability.
Yes and no. :) Yes the way more expensive pedal may be better built, and mostly what you get are a ton of options that you'll never use (in the case of some of the more complex pedals), but in all fairness, I have a near 40 year old pedal that you can purchase today for under $40 that has lasted me 4 decades and works as well as new. Unless you abuse it, there is really not much to break inside one of these things.

For me, its more of a question of do you really need/want that separate control... and in my case, it's just not all that important. I can do most of that from the accordion itself (want accordion but no piano, press softly, want accordion and more piano, press more aggressively. Want less accordion without affecting the piano, pull the bellows less aggressively).

It's a nice addition to have, and if your music needs it, unless you need highest quality/most options, that $40 pedal will do what most people need. Do you *really* want to spend $500US for a Roland FC-300 or spend $40 for that generic pedal that does the volume control part 100% identically? :)

I can do most of that from the accordion itself (want accordion but no piano, press softly, want accordion and more piano, press more aggressively. Want less accordion without affecting the piano, pull the bellows less aggressively).
That’s a special skill! I found that with velocity sensitivity turned on I would get unintended variations in dynamics, softer on notes I hit with my pinkie for example. So I switched my orchestra touch to respond to bellows only. Feels unnatural to bang on CBA buttons. So Maybe expression pedal is something I could use. Anyone have examples of pieces where this comes in handy?

As far as expense, it is about the mechanics. Some have cables, others plastic parts…when you go through Bluetooth sending a cc11 midi message to my accordion, even a cheap expression pedal will work well, for some reason the digital makes it smoother…but if you are plugging into an expression port like on the bk7m, a more pricy pedal should be used…

…and…when it comes to technology, it will eventually be more into software and less dependent on hardware…remember IBM turned down Bill Gates as they thought money was in computers, not software…?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back