• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Excelsior Accordiana 508

Status
Not open for further replies.
1950 to early 1960 :tup:

Thanks, Jim. I was surprised to find that this has a fairly wet musette in it. The only other one I could find on the internet was at Liberty Bellows and it had a dry "swing" tuning to the MM. My guess is that these were Excelsior's student line. It's a nice sounding, nice looking, nice playing accordion.

Overall, Jim, it is in very good condition. The wax on the reeds is good and there is no rust anywhere. There is no musty smell to the accordion or the case. Neither is there a smoky smell. It has most likely been in storage for a number of years with the bellow pad to the floor. This has caused some of the thicker, heavier reed leathers to arc away from the reed plates a bit, mainly on the bass side. Nevertheless, it has good compression, all the reeds work, and it sounds, to me, in tune (although musette always sounds a bit out-of-tune to my old ears). ;) It has Bagari reeds in it, but I don't know what level of quality these are.

To me, it is nice because it only weighs about 18 pounds and has LMM with pseudo-musette (true musette being MMM). It's a nice box. Not professional, but I don't need a professional box.

I must say your new box looks low mileage and has been stored properly (out of the sun). Keep it out of direct sunlight when you are not playing it, and it will stay white. :tup:

Looks a beauty. Congratulations... again! Was it another garage sale find? :mrgreen:

I assume the reeds are stamped Bugari (otherwise how would one know...)?

I'm interested if you can tell the reed quality from a pic, did you take one?

Given that Excelsior make very good quality machine made reeds at this period, if stamped Bugari (in this case) what does that imply in terms of reed quality? Better than standard Excelsior? Or cheaper bought in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back