• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Excalibur? What's the story? Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ed; The Excalibur brand name here in the US have models made in Italy, Germany and China. Their Chinese made Excalibur's are the same as your Black Diamond distributor sells. They are both re- badged Parrots. There are 3 firms in China making accordions, 2 of them make accordions that I can't comment about in mixed company, The firm making the Parrot brand is now making accordions equal and some superior to the current German Weltmeister firm. JIM D.

Thanks Jim.Looking at some of the prices I guessed they may be of eastern origins. Are the better ones 'good'?

Here in the US the Excalibur badge is found on accordions imported by Jim Laabs Music. They come from the same origin as the Chinese line of accordions as your Black Diamond importer sells. The firm Jim Laabs has an EXTREMELY POOR reputation here and I would recommend you not consider any of the products they offer for sale. You can find the same models as the Excalibur line in your local Black Diamond or Parrot line of accordions and purchase them from from a local importer with local service. As I stated in an earlier post there are 3 firms making accordions in China and 2 of them make just plain junk and their products are accidents waiting to happen. The Excaliburs and Black Diamonds are made by the superior 3rd firm and some of their models are now equal and some superior to the current line of Weltmiester accordions for example. I'm sure in time the Chinese will produce accordions to rival some of the Italian accordions made today but not only will the quality be the same but so will be the price!!! JIM D.

JIM D. said:
Chinese made Excaliburs are the same as your Black Diamond distributor sells. They are both re- badged Parrots. There are 3 firms in China making accordions, 2 of them make accordions that I cant comment about in mixed company, The firm making the Parrot brand is now making accordions equal and some superior to the current German Weltmeister firm. JIM D.

Hi – we’ve just been alerted to this discussion by a confused potential customer:

Whilst I bow to Jim Ds extensive knowledge of the Chinese accordion market, there is one small but extremely important detail about the old and the new Parrot brands which I feel ought to be pointed out.

The original Parrot factory was founded in 1954 in Tianjin and produced boxes which most accordionists knew well. Some hated them, some absolutely loved them, but most were indifferent to them as bog-standard generic Chinese squeezeboxes.

For whatever reasons, but probably because they did not raise their game in an increasingly differentiated and competitive Chinese market, Parrot went belly-up in 2003. In the new deregulated China, they have a similar system to that in the UK when a company goes bust: the administrator sells the brand name when winding up the dissolved company. This is what happened to the name ‘Parrot’ - it was sold to a start-up factory, also in Tianjin, who have produced under that name for the last few years.

The old, original, Parrot factory retained its highly skilled workforce, but relaunched under the new name of BaiDi, and, most importantly, its new management addressed the issues which contributed to the old Parrot going bust. It is this factory that produces the Black Diamond range.

Of course there are those on this forum and elsewhere who dismiss everything Chinese out of hand. But these days, saying that all the accordions made in contemporary China are rubbish is like saying, for example, that all the cars made in Italy are perfect (and having owned an Alfa that fell to bits on me, I can attest they are not!).

The Chinese market has differentiated, and, as Jim D has pointed out here and on other threads, there is now significant daylight between the bottom and the top ends of the market, and the top end is raising its game (and its prices!) all the time.

Suffice to say that to describe Black Diamond instruments as ‘re-badged Parrots’ could be misleading those who are unaware that the former Parrot factory (now BaiDi), which makes our accordions for us, to our own specification (we certainly don’t simply rip off another badge and apply our own!!) is completely unconnected to the factory now producing accordions which bear the name ‘Parrot’.

cheers

Greg

I just finished doing a emergency repair on a 48 bass model Excalabur.

It had a pile of issues.
The easiest one was that the registers were stiff, i found metal burrs on the sliders and the register assy fork was hitting the bottom of the switch assy. this took about half an hr to straighten out.
The fun one was almost all the valves on one of the bass blocks had fallen off, and were all over inside the box, and a few others had fallen off randomly on other blocks. This took about 45 min to fix, with no certainty that others would not fall off.
Glad I did not have to carry the warranty on this.

Any idea how old the accordion was?
Have they improved their glue formula in the meantime?

As mentioned earlier Excalibur is the house brand of Jim Labbs music - There reputation on the Reyes forum from people who have dealt with them in the US is probably the worst I have ever read - broken promises and people waiting multiple months for delivery after the promised delivery date and rude service or no service. Based on what I have read on the Reyes forum I would not buy ANY accordion from them no matter how cheap and I especially would not buy their house brand Excalibur.

The Jim Labbs line of Excalibur accordions are re-badged low quality China, German, Czech Republic, and Italy made accordions. They all have two things in common - (1) they are all overpriced and (2) they are all accidents waiting to happen.

I know this is an old thread. But I was also recently drawn to their attractive price but can't help noticing that the demo videos on YouTube show the player seemed to make tremendous amount of bellow movement for the pieces he played. With that kind of push and pull, I would expect a lot more. Always love to hear from the experts here! Thanks!

Excessive bellows movements can indicate air loss because of inadequate reed and reedplate adjustment. Too much opening between the reed and the plate. Room for the air to escape the reed.

Multiple issues on the few Chinese accordions that I`ve seen, opened up, and played.
1.......the woods used are prone to warpage.
2........keys are often warped/twisted
3........the reeds go out of tune quickly.(musette tuning masks it to a degree)
4........the bass footprint is smaller than on Italian accordions ,making them more difficult for those with thick fingers to play.
5........inferior bass machine materials , usually with no anodizing or corrosion resistance applied.

I would avoid them at all costs especially with the glut and availability of good Italian accordions out there.
And Yes, I agree. Jim Laabs is without doubt the least reliable and worst accordion seller I know of in the states.

The sad thing is many of these cheap crap accordions end up in the hands of children.
Parents looking for a cheap accordion their child(ren).

The children being the future of accordion culture (and... the accordion industry...), this way a potential new generation of accordion players is ruined by these crappy boxes.

And yet, these cowboy-dealers like Excalibur and co seem to have a large footprint in the Chinese accordion industry.
They don't look to be suffering from bad publicity, it doesn't seem to bother them.
The Chinese also don't give a .... about accordion quality, they're only in this business for the money.

I live in Wisconsin so was able to test out some models at Jim Laabs before buying. The 48-bass model sounded and felt cheap, but the larger models had better tone than comparable Hohners or Weltmeisters. I bought an 80-bass Excalibur in 2011 and have been happy with it. Bellows have no issues. Some of my bassoon reeds went out of tune after a few years but the clarinet and violin settings sound great.

Reeds going out of tune in only a couple years is not a good sign, nor a sign of quality reeds. I hope you got a really good price for it, but I think that whatever price, savings will now be offset by the cost of getting it tuned professionally... if that is important to you, of course. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back