• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Estella 48 bass - Vintage Italian?

rjg

Reaction score
Hi all, any help with this will be greatly appreciated. I moved to Guatemala last year and have had great trouble sourcing a decent accordion here after mine was broken during transit. I have the chance to travel to see and buy this below for a price of $600. I think it reads "Estella" and appears to be 48 bass.

414949790_6862346310550401_8410933615459869724_n.jpg

My options are very limited here so I am willing to pay a bit more than I would in other countries. Information on any major problems to look for or chance of being sold a copy will be a great help.

Hello!
That looks like a pretty nice instrument. The couplers - particularly the triangular bits - suggest it might be a rebadged Sonola, although I'm not certain. It's tuned LM, so no tremolo, but if you're okay with that then it's fine. It looks as if it's been decorated a bit, as I highly doubt the blue bellows tape and gold stickers are original.
As for the price, that does seem like a lot of money for a little 48 bass, even if it's a nice vintage Italian one. Then again, a new 48 bass of similar quality would cost a lot more. If you can try it before you buy it then definitely do that. Off the top of my head you would want to watch out for compression problems (hold the accordion by one end without pressing anything and see how fast the bellows open), tuning issues (play notes in octaves and listen for any wavering), sticky keys (press all the keys and buttons and check that they all return easily) and valve/wax issues (gurgling or buzzing sounds when you play certain notes, or some notes requiring more air than others).
I would definitely ask the seller to shoe you pictures of the inside, accessible by pulling out the pins that attach the bellows to the treble and bass sides of the instrument. That way you can check that the reeds have no rust, that the wax is in good condition and that the valves are all present and working. With an instrument of this age I kind of doubt that it's in perfect shape, but if it's been well looked after then you never know. Good luck :)

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply. I went to see it yesterday and bought it. It is in great condition with new reed blocks and no obvious faults. The guy selling it only played the keyboard and hadn't yet fitted the new reed blocks which I helped him fit. Initially they were the wrong way but once in place everything sounds tuned. It is a rare find in this part of the world and makes a very whole sound for such a small instrument. The price was a little high but apart from a new Hohner for $2500 I have not come across anything of this quality near to me here so happy to pay the price. I just need to need to get creative to play a full chord range on a 48 bass!

Back