• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

End Keys Sticking

Reaction score
Working on a la Tosca unit. 15 3/4” keyboard. The frame has nice rounded bottom edges…but….over the decades, the two outside keys have warped to the outside and are binding against the frame. Two places to address…first is the rod going up to the pallet. Make sure the rod is not making contact with the wood frame. when the unit was made there was just a little bit of clearance chiseled out for the rod to freely move. You can take a small veining chisel and get behind the rod just enough to clear out some extra wood if needed. Next is the corner of the key at the rounded edge of the frame. Take a piece of 100 grit sanding belt and start sanding down in the lower edge of the key. The smooth back but strong sanding belt piece will let you push the paper down without bending the paper. Flip the paper over and sand some on the frame also. Just be careful and don’t sand any on the upper part of the key. Sanding marks on the lower side won’t be noticeable. You can finish up with some 220-600 grit if needed. Both keys on this unit work fine now. No telling how long this accordion sat unplayed just needing these sticking keys repaired.

Attachments

• IMG_2016.jpeg
    IMG_2016.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 7
Working on a la Tosca unit. 15 3/4” keyboard. The frame has nice rounded bottom edges…but….over the decades, the two outside keys have warped to the outside and are binding against the frame. Two places to address…first is the rod going up to the pallet. Make sure the rod is not making contact with the wood frame. when the unit was made there was just a little bit of clearance chiseled out for the rod to freely move. You can take a small veining chisel and get behind the rod just enough to clear out some extra wood if needed. Next is the corner of the key at the rounded edge of the frame. Take a piece of 100 grit sanding belt and start sanding down in the lower edge of the key. The smooth back but strong sanding belt piece will let you push the paper down without bending the paper. Flip the paper over and sand some on the frame also. Just be careful and don’t sand any on the upper part of the key. Sanding marks on the lower side won’t be noticeable. You can finish up with some 220-600 grit if needed. Both keys on this unit work fine now. No telling how long this accordion sat unplayed just needing these sticking keys repaired.

I've done that repair also, but I've seen two Italian branded Chinese 12 bass where green wood was used for the key bed and it shrunk and made all the keys stick. The issue you describe is rather common where both the wood and the celluloid covering have shrunk. Usually not on full-size instruments.

I've done that repair also, but I've seen two Italian branded Chinese 12 bass where green wood was used for the key bed and it shrunk and made all the keys stick. The issue you describe is rather common where both the wood and the celluloid covering have shrunk. Usually not on full-size instruments.
Did you remove all the keys and sand and refit?

I have also found that sometimes the end of the waterfall key has bent out a bit and is catching the edge of the keyboard, or the celluloid on the edge of the keyboard has peeled back and is hitting the key.

Back