• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Emilio Allodi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice video . As I've been to the shop I could really identify with the piece. Amazing that he works alone. Also a 2 year waiting time for repairs would count me out.

there was another video floating about featuring Suggs from Madness at Emilio's shop with some other nice history nuggets thrown in, can't seem to find to post..
But my favorite accordion tuner/trader for sure...

Interesting stuff. I'd love to know the names of the "other four or five" accordion repairers that he'd trust his accordion with?

I enjoyed that very much - nice to see it's becoming a young person's instrument again!

Yes, we found Emilio to be one delightful guy. When I swopped the Welty Kristall (nice box) for the Allodi/Fantini (even better box) we spent maybe a couple of hours in his shop, partly because so many people came in to look at, and talk, Accordions. Emilio is particularly kind and seems to have time for all shop visitors, even the ones you might have expected to try his patience (not us, hopefully). He told us too of some notable experiences in the history of his shop, including attempted thefts and other dramas.

No-one could have done more to help with my choice and I was able to try anything from his shelves. I have never seen so many Accordions in one place. No worries for beginners either, Emilio is very empathetic and tactful.

BTW loved the vids, thanks !

Rob

artidots said:
Yes, we found Emilio to be one delightful guy. When I swopped the Welty Kristall (nice box) for the Allodi/Fantini (even better box) we spent maybe a couple of hours in his shop, partly because so many people came in to look at, and talk, Accordions.
Rob

The sad news is that for medical reasons I have had to let that really delightful Fantini SP30 T go, and it is now back with Emilio in his shop.

18 months after a replacement heart valve op (not long after buying the Fantini) my sternum (breastbone) is not totally healed, and under provocation the upper end clicks quite often. Its not terribly serious or painful but clearly the long term outlook for Piano Accordion playing is not very encouraging, even with a light one like the Fantini.

When the accordion withdrawal pains get too bad I can always fall back on a quick play of Marjories (Firebird) 60 bass Welty Rubin. Other than that it will have to be be mainly Concertinas but I will still be knocking around on here to see whats going on.

best to all

Rob

OK, in cases like this, I can see a Roland V-accordion coming in to the rescue! It could be set up so that near no strength to push or pull would be enough to generate sounds... maybe something to consider if your accordion jones becomes too insistent? :)

Sorry to hear about your medical issues Rob.
You've been dealt a tough hand.
The concertina is by the way a fantastic instrument.
Wish I had the time to learn how to play one.

Thanks Glenn.

That's life eh, and I have played Concertinas as well for a a few years now, so not catastrophic, just disappointing. (I really liked the Fantini)

Ah JerryPH, I can see how a Roland might be an answer, but perhaps not for a bit of a luddite like me. Thanks for the idea though.

Rob

artidots said:
Ah JerryPH, I can see how a Roland might be an answer, but perhaps not for a bit of a luddite like me. Thanks for the idea though.
LOL @ luddite!

I say dont give up! Bones heal over time and maybe if you ask your doctor to give you some slow and gentle exercises that can strengthen this area, along with some good vitamins that strengthen bone (calcium supplement?), you may later be able to continue playing it if you love it. And if you dont like the Roland, just install some mics in yours and amplify your current setup, then you dont have to push/pull as hard to get some volume... after a bit more healing time.

No matter what you choose, I wish you good health! :)

JerryPH said:
OK, in cases like this, I can see a Roland V-accordion coming in to the rescue! It could be set up so that near no strength to push or pull would be enough to generate sounds... maybe something to consider if your accordion jones becomes too insistent? :)

You could also buy a small, lightweight accordion and convert it to Midi and keep bellows permanently closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back