• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Effect on left arm

Beemer

Reaction score
As a beginner and using my interim 26/48 pa, I ask is normal to feel left arm discomfort after say 30 minutes practice? i feel this in my shoulder joint.

Last edited:
Hi Beemer,

How long do you practice the accordion per day? Have you been practicing for 30 minute sessions for a long time? Did you go from zero to 30 minute sessions straight away?

Maybe your current accordion is hard work too... Little accordions have a smaller reservoir of air and the bellows need to be worked more. It might be that when the Scandalli arrives it will be much more efficient and use less air, due to the high quality, the construction, hand made reeds etc. Accordion don't get much better than Scandalli, I expect it will likely be an easier instrument to play.

Perhaps you need to consider and plan your practice schedule differently for the time being. Build slowly and when the Rolls Royce arrives, you can again re-work your practice schedule.​

Beemer,
Be careful not to upset your shoulder joint: do not overdo daily sessions.
Personally, I find all kinds of left arm flourishes and gymnastics beyond me.
Careful nurturing of the shoulder joint ( keeping my elbow close in to my ribs) is the order of the day.
This allows me to practice for an hour or so daily without having any issues.🙂

As a beginner and using my interim 26/28 pa, I ask is normal to feel left arm discomfort after say 30 minutes practice? i feel this in my shoulder joint.
It is a common misconception that as long as you start on a small accordion physical discomfort won't be an issue. The reality is that an accordion should be a good fit and the straps should be adjusted so as to make the accordion fit well. Shoulder (and elbow) problems are often a consequence of overdoing the practice in the beginning, with an ill-fitted accordion (too small or too large and heavy). Don't forget you are trying "new" movements in the left arm and your joints and muscles need to get used to them.

As a beginner and using my interim 26/48 pa, I ask is normal to feel left arm discomfort after say 30 minutes practice? i feel this in my shoulder joint.

do you use a back strap?
could help with the general fit

also a back strap (fit it high enough towards your neck) will help to steady the instrument while pulling and pushing, especially with smaller boxes that don't have much weight. If my strap is not in the right location, I will feel it after 15 minutes already

do you use a back strap?
could help with the general fit

also a back strap (fit it high enough towards your neck) will help to steady the instrument while pulling and pushing, especially with smaller boxes that don't have much weight. If my strap is not in the right location, I will feel it after 15 minutes already
The back strap is very important. It helps to keep those straps securely on my shoulders, without it I get fatigued much quicker. with the straps secure and properly adjusted, I can play for two hours or more. The same thing applies to the wrist strap for the bass side, it should be snug but not too tight.

My 2 cents:
Think of pain a message. And that message is to stop 🛑.
Good luck 👍🏿

I don't think you can generalise about stopping. When I was younger, and into building a better body than I now have, the adage was and still is, 'no pain no gain' 💪. That history aside I understand what you mean about avoiding future problem through wrongly directed motion. thanks, Ian

Back