• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Drum Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using rhythm units of some kind or another for many years. I started off using the Iorio AccOrgan and a very primitive drum machine. Moved to an Elkavox 83 and a Solton Programmer 24 rhythm machine and then moved up to a Ketron X4. I then moved up to a Roland FR-8X and a Roland BK-7m.

20160418_201657.jpg

equipment-7.jpg
bk7m.jpg

A couple of examples of the 8X and BK7:

I'm similar to Jerry. Had a Ketron SD-3 and numerous Alesis drum machines (SR-16, DR-7). I ended up with the BK-7M. While technically an arranger you can disable all of the accompaniment and it becomes the best drum machine I've ever used.

That being said, it sits in its box and is up for sale on Craigslist right now. I found that I far preferred just playing my FR-8X and quickly tired of using the arranger.

Thomas N post_id=64199 time=1541811427 user_id=1726 said:
I found that I far preferred just playing my FR-8X and quickly tired of using the arranger.
Its true that there are many songs that I prefer to play without the arranger, indeed there are no songs that I need to use an arranger, but for me there are some songs that when used with it just add another dimension. Because I dont have the chance to play with other musicians much, the BK is a nice accompaniment and I enjoy it a lot.

No matter what, I would never recommend that any musician get so used to using an arranger that they cannot play without one. When it becomes a dependancy to that level, it takes away from your musicality.

Also the BK is not just a drum machine (though it does have the equivalent of 15 different drum kits integrated in to it), it is as Thomas mentions, an arranger, an accompanyment and finally, it can also be used as additional solo voice(s) as it has over a thousand different instruments integrated in to its sound list to add to your pleasure. Then there is the high level programability that maybe 1% of all BK users ever take advantage of. So in the case of a BK, its a bit more than just a drum machine.

Yeah, to get back on topic, I like all my arrangers, each has given me a lot of pleasure, starting with the fact that they provide that rhythm backing to my music, though each new generation sounds so much better than the last (The X4 and BK I would place at an about equal sound quality but size differences and implementation methods vastly differ).

The Bk can be used as a drum machine with the “track mute” button. If you hold it you can select which tracks to mute then save it in Global. A very useful setting if for some reason your midi connection fails when using it as an arranger.
Just turn on track mute!
If just a drum machine, The Beat Buddy is another one to look at. It has a host interface if you want to control the settings from an IOS.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BeatBuddy--singular-sound-beatbuddy-drum-machine-pedal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back