• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Does anyone have "110 Succes Musette Accord. Vol.1"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knobby

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
1609183211192.png
Does anyone have a copy of this book? If so, can you tell me if there are any VERY simple pieces in it, suitable for beginners?
Although I can find a list of the songs in it, I don't want to buy it if it's way over my head.
TIA

I'd say it doesn't have easy pieces as such.
It has lead sheets for the full version of historical songs, so bass isn't supplied in full and it tries to include all the twidly bits.

The first 'easy' song book I got was "First 50 songs you should play on the accordion" - Gary Meisner (Hal-Leonard)

The pieces in the book are not simple, at least to me.

A typical page:

IMG_69D76BA5F4D6-1.jpeg

Glug is correct. There are “simpler” pieces but none I would class as easy. In addition, as he says, the bass is only sketched in so you have to be a bit inventive to flesh out the piece. As a book though it is a classic with some well known and iconic pieces for French accordions ?

I dug out my copy of this. When I bought it the title was just 'Musette' - no volume number.
Forty + years on and I can still only manage a handful of the 110.
If you wanted a great collection of songs then:
'Les plus belles chansons de 1900 à 1940' Because it's songs you just have the melody and suggested chords.
Unfortunately used copies are on line at about £50!

I have a copy of this book. I play through a song or two every once in a while, but never gave the time that each song deserves. I really should get it out again. There is just way too much good music out there to get to it all....

I would agree with the other comments, this is not a book for beginners. When I returned to playing the accordion after a gap of almost 40 years I was very rusty and I found "Fun with the accordion" by Frank Zucco very useful and enjoyable. It is published by Mel Publications who have quite a comprehensive list of titles for the accordion.

Another voice added to the "this book ain't necessarily easy" chorus.

If you want a collection of "VERY simple pieces", suitable for a beginner, I'd recommend the Palmer-Hughes Recital Books, if you can find them across the pond. Either Book 2 (early beginner) or Book 3 (intermediate beginner). They're very well-edited, with excellent notation, fingerings, etc.

If you're okay with the lead sheet format, you could give Dave Mallinson's "Easy Peasy Tunes" a shot. No fingerings there though (it's not specific to any particular instrument).

"If you want a collection of "VERY simple pieces", suitable for a beginner, I'd recommend the Palmer-Hughes Recital Books..."
That's a good suggestion, Jeff.
Not only the "Recital Books": Palmer Hughes issued a whole lot of other other extension and practice materials tailored to various levels of their accordion course. Some that come to mind are the "Rock and Roll Book", the "Cha Cha Book" , the "Cowboy Book ", the "Polka Book", and there are many others.
The various books indicate the levels of the course they are suited to.
I found the material interesting and expanding. ?

Thanks for the info & suggestions. I'll give this book a miss as it's way too difficult for me.

Thanks to various forum members I have now aquired some French music that I think is more suitable to my level (y)

So what did you get ?

I'm always open to easy to play scores.

Knobby... don't go fretting about playing 'accordion' music.... Just play the music that burns your emotion on an accordion...
Happy new year... Squeeze on bro

Knobby... don't go fretting about playing 'accordion' music.... Just play the music that burns your emotion on an accordion...
Happy new year... Squeeze on bro

Yup, just as anything can be "breakfast" if you decide to eat it for breakfast, anything can be "accordion music" if you play it on the accordion. :)

1609183211192.png
Does anyone have a copy of this book? If so, can you tell me if there are any VERY simple pieces in it, suitable for beginners?
Although I can find a list of the songs in it, I don't want to buy it if it's way over my head.
TIA
Yes, there are a couple that are easy, e.g., 164-165. But volume two is the better buy.

1609183211192.png
TIA
Not my favorite of the Success Musette series (1-5). The other books contain songs I like better, esp. no. 2. Personally I like the French system of placing the bass above the melody line in lead-sheet style. Save a lot fo space vexing page turns. Only a couple of songs in #1 I would call "simple." But they're not virtuoso-level either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back