• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

DIY Haircut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Geoff,

I feel comfortable in the old fashioned "blokes only" barbers. My Wife did book me in at her hairdressers once, and once was quite enough for me.

The person who cut my hair was a bit like Larry Grayson on speed, and his utterly camp demeanor was more than I could stand. His boyfriend was no better, as he just sat in the window preening himself and making suggestive comments to anyone who would listen.

The very second that this guy stopped mincing around me, I was out of the door like a shot. Of course, my Wife found it all very amusing, but she didn't enjoy the dressing down I gave her for subjecting me to that ordeal.

I will stick with what I know ........ it's safer that way.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Cutting your own hair is a bit like playing the accordion - it improves (hopefully) with practice. I've been doing my own hair for about 20 years now, got a Wahl clipper and it's still going strong. I'm ocasionally pressed into service to trim my wife's hair too - but only the simple stuff, no coiffures here!!

Hi Andy,

Using two mirrors to get at the back has proved difficult, especially as I have to hold a shaving mirror in alternate hands.

You are right about cutting your own hair being a bit like playing an accordion, except that I never gouge chunks of hair from my head when I play my accordions.

I will not fall into the trap of cutting my wife's hair, though she has mentioned the possibility. Her favourite hairdresser has recently reopened, so that particular bullet has been dodged.

From your photograph, you have considerably more hair than I have (lucky you) so you will get more practice than I ever will.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Having a good view of the "work area" makes the job much easier - I have two large mirrors (salvaged from bathroom cabinets when I did a bathroom renovation some years ago), stuck together with strong transparent packaging sticky tape, to form a "hinge". The mirrors are then opened to an appropriate angle and stand on the bench in my shed. A third large mirror in front of me then gives me a 360 degree view and leaves both hands free to get on with the job.

The first few attempts sometimes resulted in quite a scary look, but, over time, things have improved. And I console myself with the thought that if things don't go according to plan, my hair will soon grow back and I'll have another opportunity to try again.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Hi Andy,

From your description, it is quite apparent to me that I am still very much the amateur. Having known my barber for around 57 years, it just never occurred to me that I would ever have to cut my own hair.

Though personal hygiene is very important to me, how I look these days holds much less significance. Having never really been a "fashionista", sartorial matters do not come very high on my list of priorities. Still, I do like to look presentable.

I spent many years wearing green or camouflaged clothing, together with a natty "coconut" style haircut. I guess my new hairstyle takes me back to those days. If only I was as fit now as I was then !!!!!

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Geoff,
"I sometimes get to cut my wife's hair.... yes I'm sure you are amazed... she just brushes her hair back and ties it in a pony tail and tells me how much to snip off the end !"
My wife and I have had the same arrangement for decades!:)

Many barbers here do provide pensioner's rates. The average going full rate for a "standard" cut is about $A25-00.
The discount varies from between $5 to $10.
This is usually offered to "regular customers" only.
:)

I almost got a special discount from my regular Greek barber in Wandsworth, south London.

I've now been going there for around 25 years but the first time they thought I was a new priest at the church over the road, mainly because I wear collarless 'grandad' shirts and that day I was wearing a black one :)

Without a discount it's £11.50 for a wash and cut, or £8.50 in another 4 years when I'm officially a 'Senior Citizen'.

On the other hand I'm doing quite well with the shaving mirror and scissors, probably - I can't see the back.

Glug,
"Without a discount it's £11.50 for a wash and cut, or £8.50 in another 4 years when I'm officially a 'Senior Citizen'."
I don't know of a single men's hairdresser/ barber who has shampoo/ washing basin in his/ her shop in Australia.
Perhaps there are one or two in the more esoteric quarters of Sydney or Melbourne, but I've yet to hear of them.
But then I've never seen anyone get a shave either.
I imagine any guys wanting a hair rinse in Australia would most likely patronise a unisex establishment :unsure:

Last edited:
;) It's very much a mans barber, I don't think there's any pink anywhere.

I think the wash is to get the hair wet to cut it better, but I'm no expert, they assume you will have the wash.
It's pretty normal in the UK, they have a basin in front of each barber chair.

They are modern enough to have a web site though: http://vakisbarbers.com/

Glug,
I imagine that this is simply one of those countless subtle minor differences which have come to differentiate the young colony from its roots: like subtle variations in language and pronunciation also.:)
One can read in the very entertaining book, "The Adventures of Hajji Baba of Ispahan" ( by JJ Morier) how Persian barbers would spend their lives shaving customer's heads. My barber here is a first generation migrant from Iran: he wouldn't give a shave in a month!?

Last edited:
Hi Glug,

When you say that UK barbers have a wash basin in front of every chair, it makes me think that there must be massive regional variations. I'm not saying that there are no barbers in Lancashire with hair washing facilities, just that I don't know of any.

Perhaps this sort of establishment will flourish in the cities, but they are not common in the provinces. My barber has one very old chair (plus a child's chair) and lino on the floor. For decoration, action photographs from Rugby matches adorn the walls. Two or three newspapers are available for customers to read while they await attention, plus a selection of magazines which have been there since Ken first opened the shop fifty years ago. (or they could even be from his previous shop.) Most of the hair Ken sweeps up from his floor is either grey or white, though one or two younger people do come in from time to time.

Most customers simply chat about rugby while they wait their turn. Those with no knowledge or understanding of the game probably won't say much, but will learn a lot from Ken's rugby mad customers.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Fair point, I've only used barbers within 30 miles of London in the last 50 years.
They're probably equiped for soft southerners :)

Yesterday one of my Flyfishing partners called to say he’d fished with someone he didn’t know, and on leaving the river, asked the guy if he knew anyone with Covid, The man replied, “My son. He’s living with us.” Unlike this irresponsible and reckless fool, my friend called to tell me he’s self-quarantining and we won’t be fishing together for at least 2 weeks.
My barber is the old-fashioned kind, other than the fact that she’s a woman who talks hunting, fishing, and the usual Topics. I miss her and her inexpensive haircuts, but I won’t get a haircut for a while, until the many irresponsible and reckless fools are shut down and the cases of COVID 19 get back to April levels.

Hi Glug,

I served with men from all over the country, so am far less parochial than many men of my age. Whichever part of our nation they came from, all the men in my unit faced the same dangers and privations. (and we all had the same bloody haircut) Funnily enough, I also served on attachment with an American unit, and they were more or less the same as us. (and they also had the same bloody haircut)

Men in my region can have the "wash & blow dry" kind of haircut, but they would probably need to visit one of those "unisex" places. They may have more up to date magazines than Ken, but I wouldn't be comfortable in that sort of environment.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Hi Eddy,

It is good to know that we don't have a monopoly on idiots, though we certainly do have enough of them. A few days of hot and sunny weather brought out thousands of cretins intent on getting a tan. Beaches on the South Coast were packed with people who should have known better, despite the fact that local authorities had pleaded with them to exercise restraint.

How these people manage to justify their reckless behaviour is beyond my comprehension, though I suppose they are gravely lacking in common sense. I don't mind them endangering their own lives, if that is what they want, but I'm not a big fan of anyone who casually endangers my life.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

SUB HEADING: Catastrophe, Litigation & Compensation.

A set of graduated guards were supplied with my new hair trimmer, which are designed to prevent hapless amateurs from doing too much damage. I have worked my way through guards of various thickness, but none of them gave me the result I wanted.

Last night I decided to be bold, and removed the guard altogether. Though I didn't think so at the time, I now realise that this was rather foolhardy. The result was a total shocker, and my hair now looks as though rats have been chewing on it.

As it is not possible to pursue this matter through litigation against myself, I have decided to agree damages out of court. The rash and adventurous me has bought a bottle of very good Scotch Whisky for the aggrieved and sensible me. After all, it is only right and proper that I am properly compensated for the suffering I have endured.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Racmaninoff kept his hair very short in solidarity with political prisoners in Russia. May be time to just put on the half inch trimmer and chop away!

Hi Eddy,

Half an inch of hair would be far more than I currently have, at least on my head.

Anyway, I remain undaunted by recent setbacks, and am resolved to master the dark art of head sharpening for the bemused masses.

Kind Regards,

Stephen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back