• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

DA Tuner ruined - alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomBR

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I really like, (liked!) this app, a very good little tuner and I liked the strobe tuning function etc.

I paid for the full version which I have on an old phone, but wanted it on my current phone as well. I play fiddle so like to carry a tuner around, (as well as a tuning fork.)

Sadly Da Tuner seems to have been updated - it's now heavy on advertisements every time you open it, and the only paid option is a subscription of 89p a month.
OK developers deserve a fair return on their work, I'd be happy to pay a fair price, like the old version, but money every month - no way.

Negative reviews for both "Lite" (now ad heavy) and "Pro" versions are piling up on the Play Store page.

I've uninstalled it.

Any recommendations for a good alternative?
Cheers
Tom

Most fiddlers I come across now use one of those tiny clip-on tuners.... cheap enough too. Not much use for tuning accordions though.

I've been using electronic tuners since 1976 and have a small collection of them, some more useful than others, and so far I have not gone down the 'install a programe on computer' route. My trusty Korg AT 12 has remained totally reliable for 35 years as a workshop tool...

Good luck finding a replacement.
Geoff.

I recommend Bill Farmers Tuner. Its free and open source and unlikely to ever go the route of advertisement spam. There is no Pro version, so all the features are available all the time.

You can read an introduction here: https://github.com/billthefarmer/tuner/wiki
The Android app is not available in the Google App Store, but you can download it directly from here:
https://f-droid.org/packages/org.billthefarmer.tuner/

It supports a lot more features than I imagine youd need for a fiddle, e.g. it can detect MM, octaves and chords.

I usually use the (Linux) PC version as I find it easier to have a spreadsheet with all the numbers open next to the tuner when doing a full retune. But the app version uses the same DSP algorithm to detect the notes, so theres no difference in accuracy.

I use "Piano Tuner" on android for my stringed instruments. It's free and very precise. It does have small ads, but I can ignore them for the cost.

Good luck, the other Tom

I'm using Bill Farmer's tuner too. Great and free. Very useful for accordion, as it can detect multiple notes.

Enviado desde mi SM-A310F mediante Tapatalk

A great shame indeed! I just discovered the new ad system which makes da tuner completely unusable. Incredibly large ads, that cannot be removed. What are they thinking? Are we going to pay for this? NO WAY.

There are still old versions downloadable from other sites: 3.81 and 3.86. Does anyone know how to "sideload" these?
I copied them to dropbox and then click on the apk there (which is something I have done a lot with student projects) but nothing gets installed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

TomBR post_id=64841 time=1544010099 user_id=323 said:
Sadly Da Tuner seems to have been updated - its now heavy on advertisements every time you open it, and the only paid option is a subscription of 89p a month.

I have not been able to find pricing on the app at all. Where should I look?
I would not mind paying a little, ONCE, for what used to be a great app, but there is no option to install da tuner for a fee on Google play store...

A subscription... not going to happen!

debra post_id=64852 time=1544031441 user_id=605 said:

In the store it says 1.09 - 2.09 euro optional and in the comments there is talk about it being per month

so I wouldnt bother with this app anymore, they are clearly pushing it away with this

jozz post_id=64865 time=1544082176 user_id=2600 said:
debra post_id=64852 time=1544031441 user_id=605 said:

In the store it says 1.09 - 2.09 euro optional and in the comments there is talk about it being per month

Thanks for the info. I still dont see it in the store. In the app when you click on remove ads it gives a blurb about its features and *still* does not say what it will cost. This is very bad ethics. Even with a free trial they should make it clear what it is going to cost after the free trial, and make that clear before you start a free trial.

But luckily version 3.81 can still be found and installed so for now we are safe...

Paul posted it above you

the tuner has been changed again after all the complaints, it is now a trial version with paid subscription option afterwards

Sebastian Bravo post_id=65146 time=1545336126 user_id=2512 said:
if someone knows how to get the .apk file of the v3.81 and can post it here on the forum, would be very useful!

Google for: datuner 3.81 apk
You get at least three places that have it for (free) download.

If you still cannot find me, send me an email and I will mail it back.
(It cannot be posted as an attachment here.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back