• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Curious about warranty policy

Alan Sharkis

Reaction score
If someone bought a new Roland from a Roland dealer, they get the Roland warranty.Of that, I’m sure, because I bought my FR-4x that way.

Conversely if someone bought a new Roland through eBay from an outfit in Japan, it’s probably not going to come with a Roland warranty, I’m guessing. Am I correct?

Finally, if someone bought a new Roland from Kraft Music with the Dale Mathis sets installed, what would be the warranty status?

If someone bought a new Roland from a Roland dealer, they get the Roland warranty.Of that, I’m sure, because I bought my FR-4x that way.

Conversely if someone bought a new Roland through eBay from an outfit in Japan, it’s probably not going to come with a Roland warranty, I’m guessing. Am I correct?

Finally, if someone bought a new Roland from Kraft Music with the Dale Mathis sets installed, what would be the warranty status?

In my country it is easy to answer: Law says that EVERY article sold as new and coming from ANY dealer within the country is covered with a two year warranty against failure due to a faulty article. The vendor has to either repair at no cost or ship you a new one. So solely the vendor has to do the arguing with the original manufacturer.

A guarantee from the original manufacturer is only interesting for the end-user if it would cover more than the two standard years or would promise other benefits like overnight pickup or providing a replacement during repair time.

USA Roland warranty is not transferable, only protects the original purchaser

only when bought through an authorized USA dealer

last i knew, Roland Canada warranty was twice as long on the FR series vs: USA

1 - If someone bought a new Roland from a Roland dealer, they get the Roland warranty.Of that, I’m sure, because I bought my FR-4x that way.

2 - Conversely if someone bought a new Roland through eBay from an outfit in Japan, it’s probably not going to come with a Roland warranty, I’m guessing. Am I correct?

3 - Finally, if someone bought a new Roland from Kraft Music with the Dale Mathis sets installed, what would be the warranty status?
1 - Correct. 1 year from date of purchase as per the invoice.
2 - There is no warranty in your country if you are outside of Japan.
3 - If you are a USA resident and bought it from any of Dale's authorized Roland dealerships, you have a warranty. If you are a Canadian (or anywhere outside of the USA for that matter), and bought one of Dale's accordions, you do not have a warranty.

A warranty is only covered in the country it is bought from. So for our Japanese bought unit, you send it back to that authorized dealer and they fix it and you get it back... you just now pay massive shipping rates (Fedex charges $4500 EACH WAY from Japan to Canada, NOT INSURED... I just asked last week).

Hope that helps.

Thanks to all for your answers. Except for one little hitch due to a failing battery, my 4x, now way past any warranty, has done extremely well by me.

But when I see Roland V-Accordions sold from a variety of sources I begin to wonder.

Again, thanks for the explanations.

When I bought my used 8X from Liberty bellows, it came with a 6 month warranty. My guess is, they use their own "in house" techs for any fix or repair. When I was talking to a tech, I know they consider the output Jacks a "wear" item so they would fix those. I don't know how their stock or availability of Roland parts is, but if they can fix it, they will.

When I bought my used 8X from Liberty bellows, it came with a 6 month warranty. My guess is, they use their own "in house" techs for any fix or repair. When I was talking to a tech, I know they consider the output Jacks a "wear" item so they would fix those. I don't know how their stock or availability of Roland parts is, but if they can fix it, they will.
I just looked at the Roland website, and Liberty Bellows is not an "authorized Roland Dealer", so while they are offering a guarantee, that is absolutely very professional and kind of them.

In terms of parts, they would unfortunately not be able to get any parts from Roland, but I am sure they would do their best. I could see them maybe stocking a box or 3 aside just to help their clients for some needed parts.

My 8X was (fortunately) originally sold here in Montreal and I bought it from the former owner's wife about 14 months months after the invoice sales date and less than 2 hours of use on it before the owner passed away. Even though I was past the 1 year mark, Roland honored the warranty and I paid nothing for the (on the invoice $700+) in parts, and paid $80 for labor costs.

Last edited:
you might recall that Rose Caccamice bought out Rolands entire
"old/new stock" of FR7's and FR2's at one point in time (mostly the Chromatics)
when they "retired" those models from the line and wanted to clear their inventory

after Rose passed, at least part of Roxy's accordion stock was liquidated
to Liberty B, and this was when they first offered "new" Rolands for sale
as some if not all the last of the 7's went to them

whether or not LB considered becoming a dealership, as Rose had, i don't know
(i signed Roxy's up originally with Roland) they did have the merch legitimately
and i would think those units were covered by the Roland USA Warranty

eyond that, many Music retailers have back door collaborative
stock shifting with other retailers in the biz.. for example, we had Jackson
Charvel and Kramer guitars and a friend dealership in New Jersey had
Fender so literally both stores were able to floor at least a "few" models
of the borrowed brand, and any other color they needed to sell we just
sent one over or went and got what we needed from their stock

the "floor" baseline cost to become and remain a "Dealer" can be
quite steep with some companies who, like Roland, want you to carry
a lot more than just accordions. When they began to market the V
they were't so difficult as they needed every square foot of retail floor space
they could get to legitimise and show the product, so Rose, even though
she was a long time Peavey and Yamaha dealer, had no difficulty with them.

Some dealerships tie in the discount to the specific order, quantity, total invoice,
while others like Kawai have their base discount, and at the end of your fiscal year
your Volume earns you a sort of "retroactive" better percentage discount
that you get as a dollar for dollar credit toward next years orders. What this
does is allow smaller dealers to special order single items withut any more penalty
than normal shipping costs. Without this, smaller dealers can never compete
with the big order dealers, and which feeds into the back-door swap system
as some big dealers are pseudo low margin Distributors in reality

Some retailers who have deep ties as distributors with Accordion brands
may age and become less active directly at retail, but it is much easier for
a new start-up accordion dealer a state or two away to strike a private deal
and just piggyback on someone like this for their first 5 or 6 years in biz

it can be complicated, but some years it is hard to survive in Retail
and you do what you have to

the main thing is, any serious retailer needs to invest in a legit
repair/service department, so this is what you need to ask about or
peek behind the great and wonderful Oz' curtains..

Back