• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Another curious Morino

Wow, that a strange one. Of course others have tried a piano keyboard for melody bass too, but none of the attempts ever became successful.

Excuse my ignorance Jerry, but why only 4 fingers?. I would have thought you could use all 5 as you would do on a piano.
It's not ignorance at all... but unless you have done it, you would not know. :)

Because of the way the human wrist and thumb bend. Look at how high the FB part is, it is above the Stradella bass section. Now, I know how thick the accordion is.. think around 50% thicker than your average accordion.

equipment-1-768x432-1.jpg

Now, to use the thumb, I would need to insert the left arm to near the elbow and make sure the bass strap was *way* looser (to the point you would have a hard time controlling the bellows).

I know how hard it is for the thumb to hit that part of the accordion because I would have to be double jointed to hit anyFB button on my Morino in a "playable manner".

When I play FB on my Morino, it is not the wrist or the area just above the wrist that the bellows strap touches, it is *literally* mid-forearm and the strap is loosened to near it's end (and my forearms are NOT very thick... lol) and by design its a lot bigger than your average bellows strap just for this reason.

Now, if I really stretch to the point of near painfulness, I can touch the first row of the Free Bass' 3 rows with the side of my thumb, not the tip, which is what would be needed... but thats it. Now, replace that with piano keys, and that exercise gets even harder.

An easier way is to visualize it yourself. Take your hand, and in the air, place it in ordinary bass playing position. Now, bend that wrist more than 90 degrees so the thumb points down and is able to hit an imaginary note.

Don't try too hard. If you are like me and your forearm is pressed against the accordion (position needed to push/pull the bellows), you will either break the wrist or the thumb before you reach a playing position with the thumb where you can hit it with the tip of the thumb (either that or you have no either unscrewed the bass strap or removed the hand entirely from the bass strap to lift the elbow to the same required high position that the right hand needs to be able to hit the right side keys). :)

Make it easier to understand now?

Last edited:
Thanks JerryPH: Some sources say Golas got on the market in 1956 though of course Gola must have arrived at Hohner some time before that. We're grateful to them all anyway, right up to the present day. A day doesn't go by that I don't enjoy playing my almost 70 year old Morino 1VM.....not a Gola, but nearly.

It's not ignorance at all... but unless you have done it, you would not know. :)

Because of the way the human wrist and thumb bend. Look at how high the FB part is, it is above the Stradella bass section. Now, I know how thick the accordion is.. think around 50% thicker than your average accordion.

equipment-1-768x432-1.jpg

Now, to use the thumb, I would need to insert the left arm to near the elbow and make sure the bass strap was *way* looser (to the point you would have a hard time controlling the bellows).

I know how hard it is for the thumb to hit that part of the accordion because I would have to be double jointed to hit anyFB button on my Morino in a "playable manner".

When I play FB on my Morino, it is not the wrist or the area just above the wrist that the bellows strap touches, it is *literally* mid-forearm and the strap is loosened to near it's end (and my forearms are NOT very thick... lol) and by design its a lot bigger than your average bellows strap just for this reason.

Now, if I really stretch to the point of near painfulness, I can touch the first row of the Free Bass' 3 rows with the side of my thumb, not the tip, which is what would be needed... but thats it. Now, replace that with piano keys, and that exercise gets even harder.

An easier way is to visualize it yourself. Take your hand, and in the air, place it in ordinary bass playing position. Now, bend that wrist more than 90 degrees so the thumb points down and is able to hit an imaginary note.

Don't try too hard. If you are like me and your forearm is pressed against the accordion (position needed to push/pull the bellows), you will either break the wrist or the thumb before you reach a playing position with the thumb where you can hit it with the tip of the thumb (either that or you have no either unscrewed the bass strap or removed the hand entirely from the bass strap to lift the elbow to the same required high position that the right hand needs to be able to hit the right side keys). :)

Make it easier to understand now?
Thanks Jerry. I obviously didn't look closely and think it through (y)

Thanks Jerry. I obviously didn't look closely and think it through (y)
When I first saw the video of Øivind Farmen playing with his thumb on the stepped converter system of Free Bass, I went downstairs and tried on my Morino. It took me exactly 5 seconds to see that for me it was impossible and not for lack of trying... and I had actually tried before too and remembered, but I just had to see and be reminded of how awkward it was. :D

It adds a lot for the people on the very top rung of the ladder, pushing them to an area that others will not be able to go, but it certainly doesn't stop 99.5% of us.

Thanks JerryPH: Some sources say Golas got on the market in 1956 though of course Gola must have arrived at Hohner some time before that. We're grateful to them all anyway, right up to the present day. A day doesn't go by that I don't enjoy playing my almost 70 year old Morino 1VM.....not a Gola, but nearly.
I have the word out to a couple of people/places for a specific Gola (60's-70's Gola 459), and I know that chances that it will ever happen are less than 1% and I am totally OK with that. In the meantime, I too, am loving on my Hohner Morino VI N. :)
Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 9.45.52 AM.png

Back