• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Cordovox Accordeon

My usual remedy is to get the best of the best, but seriously outdated (my digital camera is from 19 years ago). That's somewhat affordable and makes it either pointless (because of quality) or unfeasible (because of price) to upgrade. And you get all the best conversation pieces.

Of course, the best of the best in decades-old accordions are not exactly affordable, so my strategy falls down with that. But I do have an electronic accordion-keyboard arranger of 1997 vintage. And a Roland FR-1b (did you know that those were first sold in 2004, 20 years ago?). And a Leslie-style amp from the seventies. And an acoustic with a very early MIDI installation, As soon as electronics come into play, the strategy works out again.

Come to think of it, my main accordion does fit the category. It's been specially-constructed by Morino, has some very good reeds inside, did not cost me a lot (initially) because it was a sell-off and is older than I am. And it stopped gear acquisition syndrome. Except for all the electronic gizmos. And a small 2-reed for singing along while standing. And… Well, looks like there are still some loopholes to close in my strategy.
I have a friend who takes the same approach you do but with cars. He'll get something that was absolutely the top, but like 7 years old. They've either been hardly driven, or driven to death for some reason. But usually will have features that are only starting to appear in more mainstream cars. I will admit to being surprised when a car seat starting air conditioning my backside and giving me a massage.

The old tech stuff is interesting too. My tendency is to buy something really good, and use it much longer than the enthusiasts do.

Probably an old Roland would be good for me, so I could practice late at night with headphones on, and not be some sort of animal to my family.

Back