• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Connecting FR8X to Roland BK7

Mockie

Reaction score
I'm looking to using my BK7 with my FR8X accordion for a solo gig on 22nd Sept.
It will be my first time using an expander.
I wish to use my LH (bass side) only also information on how I can use the BK7 and elements FR8x bass together (layered)if that is possible.

PS. I realise now that I've posted a similar thread on this issue before I purchased my FR8 about Nov 2021.
Jerry replied then. If there is any more info, I'd be greatful

Last edited:
Super simple!

I can make a couple short videos for you this coming Saturday. In the meantime, download the free manual from Roland and read through it a couple times. It's not really going to help too much but I will be referencing a few items from that manual that you should know. Biggest challenge is going to be matching up rhythms to your songs, thats a big time waster, but once documented, its a LOT easier. :)

EDITED TO ADD:
- Do you have a mixer or amplifier that you are going to be plugging in to?
- Mono setup or stereo?

The more I know the more I can kinda customize it for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
Super simple!

I can make a couple short videos for you this coming Saturday. In the meantime, download the free manual from Roland and read through it a couple times. It's not really going to help too much but I will be referencing a few items from that manual that you should know. Biggest challenge is going to be matching up rhythms to your songs, thats a big time waster, but once documented, its a LOT easier. :)

Do you have a mixer or sound system that you are going to be plugging in to?
Wow look at this guy! Works a million hours a week and takes care of his family and at the drop of a hat makes videos to help out a fellow musician. This is why accordionists are the best people on earth!!! 👏👏👏 No wonder everyone and his brother wants to join the tribe!

Thank Jerry, quick off the mark !
Yes I gave a mixer etc. I have looked at the manual got nothing from it.

Will you be going mono or stereo?

Get comfy with the setup wizard, I will be referencing it, again, very easy but it will help you tie things together... or of course you could ask questions later too.

Will you be going mono or stereo?

Get comfy with the setup wizard, I will be referencing it, again, very easy but it will help you tie things together... or of course you could ask questions later too.
Probably mono Jerry

Here you go!

Now, I am going to tell you in advance, the second biggest challenge you are going to have is using your foot pedals properly because we as accordionists are not used to starting and stopping the music, or when to hit that button a microsecond early to get the little drum fill in the perfect spot, that is going to take practice and good timing.

Your bigger challenge is going to be to match up the rhythms to the music that you will be playing. My advice? Use, it for sure, but do not rely on it. Don't make the BK the star of the show (and it is easy to do so!), make sure you use it, then specifically DON'T use it. It's a tool but its a bit of a hammer, and not all things that we use need to be a nail. :D

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Once again, Jerry, I'm astounded in how you go above and beyond the call of duty to help out fellow members.
Even though I don't have a FR8X or BK7, (I only have a lowly FR3xb with an RA800, which I'm more than happy with ). I follow all your videos with great interest.
I doff my chapeau to you sir! (y)

Here you go!

Now, I am going to tell you in advance, the second biggest challenge you are going to have is using your foot pedals properly because we as accordionists are not used to starting and stopping the music, or when to hit that button a microsecond early to get the little drum fill in the perfect spot, that is going to take practice and good timing.

Your bigger challenge is going to be to match up the rhythms to the music that you will be playing. My advice? Use, it for sure, but do not rely on it. Don't make the BK the star of the show (and it is easy to do so!), make sure you use it, then specifically DON'T use it. It's a tool but its a bit of a hammer, and not all things that we use need to be a nail. :D

Enjoy!
Thanks Jerry
I have used the BK7 a lot with my acoustic midi accordion over over the years. . Yes, it's not the answer to everything, it's another tool in our toolbox.
I'll have a good look at the video later.
Thank you for you generosity😃

You are welcome... I am pleased if it helps you any. There is one more feature I think would be of interest for you and that is how to save your particular song to a play list to a USB key plugged in to the back of it. Basically you find the rhythm you want to use in a particular song, it's tempo and other settings like which intro and style you want to start from.
I wanted to add that but ran out of time yesterday, sorry. Perhaps I could make a video of it a little later.

Reactions: Tom
Back