• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Cleaning of the external celluloid

Pinu

Reaction score
Hello guys,
Home should inclean the external celluloid?
I have an old black-celluloid accordion, that in the yeara got a bit dirty, mainly due ti swet and dust attaching on the humid layer id the dust.

How should i eventually polish It?

How is possible to repair scratches?

Many thanks in advance

Many thanks Jim.

Just to clean it without polishing, which product are you suggesting?

Dealing with scratches is already dealt with in this forum.
The severity/depth of the scratches will determine the method but in both cases acetone will be used.

Dealing with scratches is already dealt with in this forum.
The severity/depth of the scratches will determine the method but in both cases acetone will be used.
Acetone is only needed for deep scratches where you need to essentially melt the celluloid to "blend in" the scratches. In all other cases acetone must be avoided as it will inevitably render the celluloid dull and require more polishing than if you just do polishing, with increasingly finer grain polish until you have a very nice shine again.

I think in France there is a product caller "miror". saw it recommended on le malle aux accordeon

Automotive compounds and polishes also work well for minor scratches and restoring the shine. I've even used fine sandpaper, 2000 grit wet/dry to sand out small scratches and then buff with automotive compounds/polishes.

The best stuff I have found to polish the celluloid is made by a company called "Novus". it's available on Amazon and is a plastic polish and scratch remover. I learned of it years ago ( I was a Commercial Pilot) when I was flying. Airplane windshields are not glass, they are plastic and conventional glass cleaners "Haze" the plastic. This comes in 3 flavors, the polish(#1), Fine scratch remover (#2) and heavy scratch remover (#3). Works great and doesn't damage the celluloid. On one of my older accordions that had metal bellows snaps; the snaps would always move around on the top of the accordion and leave scratches all over the place. The top of that accordion now looks brand new. I've been using this stuff for years. The #3 when used judiciously will take out even the deepest scratches.

The best stuff I have found to polish the celluloid is made by a company called "Novus". it's available on Amazon and is a plastic polish and scratch remover. I learned of it years ago ( I was a Commercial Pilot) when I was flying. Airplane windshields are not glass, they are plastic and conventional glass cleaners "Haze" the plastic. This comes in 3 flavors, the polish(#1), Fine scratch remover (#2) and heavy scratch remover (#3). Works great and doesn't damage the celluloid. On one of my older accordions that had metal bellows snaps; the snaps would always move around on the top of the accordion and leave scratches all over the place. The top of that accordion now looks brand new. I've been using this stuff for years. The #3 when used judiciously will take out even the deepest scratches.
Can you send the link of the exact product? Thanks a lot

do you think this may work? It seems it is for wooden fornitures...

Back