• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Chordovox to midi conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex-squeeze

Reaction score
Hey all, been a while since I posted last. Had a long shot hope that what I am envisioning is possible and that someone might know how to help me make it happen. I have a chordovox equipped cosmos lll accordion and I am wondering if it is possible to use the pre existing hardware to produce rounds apart from the original tone generator and amp? Perhaps with the use of s raspberry pi micro pc. All I am really looking to do is be able to create sound with my bass and treble keys in headphones so I can practice silently. Have 3 small children and not much time to practice and could do much more if I could just practice fingering exercises with no noise. Thanks in advance for the help. Eli.

There are a number of solutions out there for you in order of increasing cost:

1. Get an electronics repair person to add an earphone jack. They’re usually configured so that when you plug in the earphones, the speaker cuts out, and when you remove the earphone plug, the speaker is connected. This is the simplest solution; probably the least expensive one, but the sounds will still be Chordovox sounds.

2. Some years back, a guy had designed a DIY kit for converting a Chordovox to midi. I don’t remember all the details, but since it was publicized in the old Yahoo groups and they have been taken over by groups.io, you may want to start there. What I do remember about this kit is that it still relied on the under-key contacts of the Chordovox and these sometimes corrode.

3. Check out the thread in this forum about Scarff Midi for accordions.

4. Have a midi kit from Master Productions or MusicTech (or one of several other brands) installed by an accordion technician who performs this service. This solution and perhaps number 3, above, will eliminate the under-key contacts in favor of more modern Hall-Effect detectors. In addition, the kits installed by accordion technicians may include bellows pressure transducers for better expression.

5. It may sound a bit snobby on my part, but since Chordovox parts may become increasingly difficult to obtain, you may want to consider buying a new or used Roland accordion.

Thank you for the reply.. I assume that you are suggesting putting a headphone jack on the amp? I should have been more clear, I lack the tone generator and the amp that would be original to the accordion.. I only have the accordion. Is there a name of the group I should search? Yeah been thinking about a Roland for a while.. it's a lot of money for a practice box though. Eli

Thank you for the reply.. I assume that you are suggesting putting a headphone jack on the amp? I should have been more clear, I lack the tone generator and the amp that would be original to the accordion.. I only have the accordion. Is there a name of the group I should search? Yeah been thinking about a Roland for a while.. it's a lot of money for a practice box though. Eli

rolandv-accordions@groups.io

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back