• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Cesar Franck works for Harmonium on accordion

Franck's harmonium music sounds subtle and classic - it's not ostentatious. I listened to the accordionist and thought her interpretation was super. It is very different to the fuller, softer, airier tones associated with the harmonium. I thought I would prefer the accordion version by a mile - but I don't. The harmonium has texture, it is historic and feels authentic - and that counts for something.

The accordion is more precise and pure of tone, to my ear. The accordion, in many ways is overtaking a lot of older instruments. The musician has so much control due to the accordion bellows. And indeed I think Pigini is coming to define the classical accordion, more and more. To me it is balanced - neutral with warmth. I prefer its tone over the Russian bayan, where the low bass notes are very dominating. Along with the Gola and one or two other Italian free bass accordions (I do not wish to be exhaustive here) the Pigini sound is very sophisticated. There is a lovely balance between the hands and homogeneity of tone, that I associate more with quint converter than chromatic - perhaps due partly to the voice couplings on the bass - never see LL voice on quint. Though, perhaps there are other technical reasons - maybe due to the disposition of reeds on the bass. However, I think European C system bass with L.M. or L.M.H will create a lovely blend with the treble. Different instruments will have varying construction, so there is little point guessing. But it's good, as is the accordionist.

The only other thing I would mention, is that this classical accordion, has a tone that more reminds me of the Renaissance or early Baroque, whereas the harmonium, draws me more to the Romantic period. I don't know why, it's just does. If I were listening to Bach or Frescobaldi the accordion wins. Here though, to be frank, Franck on the harmonium might just edge it - by a whisker.

What do you think aemit?

Thanks for highlighting this disk - I listened too to the excerpts and they are super! Harmonium music really works on the accordion and to my ears its even more expressive because the accordion bellows are so much more controllable by the performer. (I don't completely agree with the Pigini classical accordion bit but won't get into it now as many posts are about the instrument rather than the actual music and I don't want to go down a rabbit hole!)

Sticking to music, Franck taught a composer called Tournemire and then Langlais. All three were organists at Sainte-Clotilde, Paris which is famous for its (at the time) revolutionary Cavaillé-Coll organ which was a large romantic style instrument containing a large number of 8ft unison stops. They also all composed for the harmonium! I'm sharing some more harmonium music from Paris below which is great on the accordion and requires no changes of notes or any adaptation - fingering suggestions are C system.

Attachments

• Tournemire - Variæ Preces_ Modéré.pdf
    117.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Langlais - Verset Gregoriens no.3.pdf
    53.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Wachs - Angelus.pdf
    142 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
New music to me, and I am glad to hear it -- both the Franck original and the accordion arrangement. Until now the only Franck I've heard was the Symphony in D Minor and the string quartet.

(And don't worry, saundersbp, you aren't the only one who isn't on the Pigini bandwagon.)

Franck's harmonium music sounds subtle and classic - it's not ostentatious. I listened to the accordionist and thought her interpretation was super. It is very different to the fuller, softer, airier tones associated with the harmonium. I thought I would prefer the accordion version by a mile - but I don't. The harmonium has texture, it is historic and feels authentic - and that counts for something.

The accordion is more precise and pure of tone, to my ear. The accordion, in many ways is overtaking a lot of older instruments. The musician has so much control due to the accordion bellows. And indeed I think Pigini is coming to define the classical accordion, more and more. To me it is balanced - neutral with warmth. I prefer its tone over the Russian bayan, where the low bass notes are very dominating. Along with the Gola and one or two other Italian free bass accordions (I do not wish to be exhaustive here) the Pigini sound is very sophisticated. There is a lovely balance between the hands and homogeneity of tone, that I associate more with quint converter than chromatic - perhaps due partly to the voice couplings on the bass - never see LL voice on quint. Though, perhaps there are other technical reasons - maybe due to the disposition of reeds on the bass. However, I think European C system bass with L.M. or L.M.H will create a lovely blend with the treble. Different instruments will have varying construction, so there is little point guessing. But it's good, as is the accordionist.

The only other thing I would mention, is that this classical accordion, has a tone that more reminds me of the Renaissance or early Baroque, whereas the harmonium, draws me more to the Romantic period. I don't know why, it's just does. If I were listening to Bach or Frescobaldi the accordion wins. Here though, to be frank, Franck on the harmonium might just edge it - by a whisker.

What do you think aemit?
I like this recording very much (I bought the CD), it has its own quality and I was happily surprised listening to it. And I also prefer the harmonium version, not to say anything bad about the accordion version, but I am (still) more familiar with the harmonium, having a nice Alexandre at home (my wife is a professional organist) and having listened often to the superb harmonium recordings of Joris Verdin.

You have a very good point that the brighter sound and the more articulate character lends itself more to Renaissance or Baroque music, or maybe even earlier music, I saw some recordings of Guillaume de Machaut (14th century) on accordion.

Wim.

Thanks for highlighting this disk - I listened too to the excerpts and they are super! Harmonium music really works on the accordion and to my ears its even more expressive because the accordion bellows are so much more controllable by the performer. (I don't completely agree with the Pigini classical accordion bit but won't get into it now as many posts are about the instrument rather than the actual music and I don't want to go down a rabbit hole!)

Sticking to music, Franck taught a composer called Tournemire and then Langlais. All three were organists at Sainte-Clotilde, Paris which is famous for its (at the time) revolutionary Cavaillé-Coll organ which was a large romantic style instrument containing a large number of 8ft unison stops. They also all composed for the harmonium! I'm sharing some more harmonium music from Paris below which is great on the accordion and requires no changes of notes or any adaptation - fingering suggestions are C system.
Thanks for sharing the partitions !
I have a collection (sheet music and recordings) of harmonium works by Lefebure-Wely, a famous contemporary of Franck.These are on my to-be-played list, in due time, since I am an absolute beginner on the accordion.
Also interesting : Sigfrid Karg-Elert.

Wim.

Saundersbp, thank you for sharing, you have hidden depths and the ability to express yourself well. I would enjoy hearing more of this substantial knowledge. I should like to clarify that when I reference Pigini, it is because it has a distinctive tone - it's a light to medium 'grain' - that sizzles - it is also just an opinion. But I do find it's sound soothing and never biting. It is suited to period music, as are other accordions too. I have refrained on elaborating the other one or two accordions that are also suited to periods of 'classical' music, as it's out-with the scope of this thread.

Siegmund, in all sincerity, my first consideration is only the expressive potential and character of any given instrument. I only look for the instrument that suits the musician and the music, and that's why I prefer the harmonium. I do not follow bandwagons - otherwise I would have preferred the Pigini. I hope you understand my perspective, but I would like to understand your perspective also and which accordion captures Franck's music with greater sincerity. It is only ever about the music for me and never the brand.

Aemit, you have encapsulated my thoughts on the subject so much better than I ever could:

And I also prefer the harmonium version, not to say anything bad about the accordion version, but I am (still) more familiar with the harmonium, having a nice Alexandre at home (my wife is a professional organist) and having listened often to the superb harmonium recordings of Joris Verdin.

You have a very good point that the brighter sound and the more articulate character lends itself more to Renaissance or Baroque music, or maybe even earlier music, I saw some recordings of Guillaume de Machaut (14th century) on accordion.

I think we can all learn from one another and I am here to listen...

Last edited:
To saundersbp : thanks again for the scores, but I have a question : what is the meaning of the red notes ? No doubt newbie ignorance.
Wim.

know there works from their original interpretation on Harmonium.

Franck's harmonium music sounds subtle and classic - it's not ostentatious

Just started looking it these now, music is free on imslp. Although they look simple the quality of music is fantastic and translates to the accordion as written! I was surprised to learn that Franck wrote these simpler pieces at the end of his life at the same time as the 3 famous organ chorales.

This is interesting https://harmonium.co.uk/anne-page-the-expressive-organist-3

Last edited:
Back