• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

CBA tutor books

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Orma

Hello all, brand new to the forum. Just bought a CBA c system (not even arrived yet) and wondering what tutor books are available - preferably in English.
Hopefully this is the right place to ask.
Thanks

Hi Orma and welcome to this very helpful and friendly Forum.

CBA tutor books are not exactly thick on the ground but one I can definitely recommend is the French one by Florence Glorion. It costs 58 Euros which at first sight seems expensive but includes a web site password where you can download a really excellent English translation plus sound tracks of the tunes in the book along with masses of other generally interesting things and information. Her colleague, another Florence, teaches Diatonic (Melodeon) Here is a link.

http://diouflo.com/english/shop.html#recueils_chrom

My partner Marjorie is using this book having recently started on CBA - C system (Weltmeister Romance 602), and I liked many of the tunes so much myself that I have been trying them on my PA !! Some are traditional and some have been written by Flo though all are very French as you might expect (and none the worse for that I would add). The book pushes along fairly rapidly, each turn of a page leading to some new technique using comprehensive CBA tablatures (including nominated chords and no bass clef - hooray). The two Flos run courses in Brittany which we would just love to attend. Flo is very friendly with email too.

Brace yourself ….. and happy squeezing ! Marj says to tell you not to despair at first, it really does get easier eventually !!

Thanks for the information about this tutor book Rob. I had seen it advertised but was unsure about the download thing. Sounds just the thing though. Thank Marj fo the words of encouragement as well.
John

Just bit the bullet and ordered the tutor book. I think it'll pay dividends in the long run.
Thanks again.
John

Hi John & welcome. You've ruled out teachers? Or can't find one?

Hello Soulsaver,
No, I'd more than welcome a teacher but I don't even know anybody that plays a CBA - never mind teaches it.
If there is anybody in the Bath, (Bristol at a stretch) UK, area then that'd be great.
I will keep looking.
John

Yep - I spotted one in Midlothian the other day... bit far for you... :)

I've found the Flo' book to be very well thought through.
Hope you enjoy it!
She is also willing to respond to queries from users.
I like the fact that she teaches technique thro' tunes rather than exercises.
The only slight negative (?) in my opinion is that the rate of introduction of new skills is quite high.
Having other material available to practise each stage is likely to be a good idea, as would learning the tunes in other keys
This is the only method that I know of to use (her own) left and right hand tab linked to standard notation.
As you are starting from scratch, you will have no prejudices about fingering.

dunlustin said:
The only slight negative (?) in my opinion is that the rate of introduction of new skills is quite high.
Having other material available to practise each stage is likely to be a good idea, as would learning the tunes in other keys

Completely agree dunlustin. Flo says that next year she hopes to publish a little book of additional tunes suitable for that. Meanwhile we (Marj) found the tunes in the Palmer Hughes PA tutor series quite useful for CBA practise although the PA treble fingering is of no use on CBA and it is necessary to invent your own (hmmm !!). Nevertheless the progressive nature of the tunes through the books is still very helpful, especially book 2 in the early stages. All the bass fingering etc is still relevant of course.

Good luck with the Flo book Orma, bet you enjoy it.

Hello dunlustin, no I already play a diatonic club system so the book will help with general fingering. I am used to finding my way through tunes . I don't use standard fingering with club boxes any way due to arthritis in my little fingers. Perhaps a bigger challenge will be the 80 basses I have available - although I could use normal PA tutor guides I suppose.
Thanks again Rob for your advice as well.
I might start another post to try and find a teacher. They must be out there somewhere!
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back