• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Can someone please help to date this Paolo Soprani that I have just acquired.

wbfnz

Reaction score
This is old, quite square on the corners. It's in rough condition and I'm going to get it back up and running. Any help greatly appreciated. Here in New Zealand there is not much info to be found.

IMG_2345.jpg

Thanks for joining us and posting your thread with a photo! Your accordion is fun to see. We hope you'll keep us posted about your rehab progress on your Paolo Soprani.

Red, and curved keyboard to boot!

When I was a kid I'd see the odd red accordion in the inventory of the studio where I took accordion lessons. Red has always been my favorite color. I yearned for a red accordion way back then.

Still do actually. I've thought about picking up a cheap full sized red accordion off of ebay, just 'cause.

I'd be very surprised if it's that late. By the 60s, Italian boxes had pretty much fully transitioned to the sleek, smooth instruments we know today. Looking at the general boxy shape - and the two toggle-style (that is, I assume they turn individual reed banks on and off like stops on an organ, rather than selecting preset combinations) register switches, I'd say this is maybe late 30s but probably 1940s. As for not having waterfall keys, not all instruments were built like that. I've seen more old accordions without waterfall keys than with, so not having them definitely doesn't mean that it isn't a certain age!

I'd be very surprised if it's that late. By the 60s, Italian boxes had pretty much fully transitioned to the sleek, smooth instruments we know today. Looking at the general boxy shape - and the two toggle-style (that is, I assume they turn individual reed banks on and off like stops on an organ, rather than selecting preset combinations) register switches, I'd say this is maybe late 30s but probably 1940s. As for not having waterfall keys, not all instruments were built like that. I've seen more old accordions without waterfall keys than with, so not having them definitely doesn't mean that it isn't a certain age!
Thanks for your thoughts. I had also thought it would have been older but open to others advice. Yes the 2 toggle switches give the reed selections, and in the bass reeds the metal slider that turns on or off the reeds is located internal to the reed block, something I hadn't seen before. I'm putting the reeds back into the blocks at the moment and then I can hear the instrument proper.

IMG_2349.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for joining us and posting your thread with a photo! Your accordion is fun to see. We hope you'll keep us posted about your rehab progress on your Paolo Soprani.

Red, and curved keyboard to boot!

When I was a kid I'd see the odd red accordion in the inventory of the studio where I took accordion lessons. Red has always been my favorite color. I yearned for a red accordion way back then.

Still do actually. I've thought about picking up a cheap full sized red accordion off of ebay, just 'cause.
An update for your info. I've posted in the general thread and also put a link to youtube. Here it is

Well ... thar she blows!

Very good! Thanks for the video!

It's a smart looking accordion.

What is your assessment of the instrument after giving it a test drive? How does it compare with your main squeeze accordion? Is it tighter now after you went into it? Did you form any opinion of the curved keyboard design's ergonomics?

Some Hohners also had the curved keyboard 🙂:

Back