• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Bugari Prime or Pigini Nova?

Miroslav1806

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to buy a new instrument. After a long internet search I contacted my dealer. He gave me some suggestions. I personally find these 2 instruments the most interesting

Bugari Prime: 25000eur

Pigini Nova: 28000eur

I've already had a chance to test out a Nova. That was a very pleasant instrument that was great fun to play and with a powerful sound and bass.

I also had an old Bugari converter in my possession for a while and it produced a very full and warm sound.

Unfortunately I don't have the chance to try out a Bugari Prime. But does anyone know how it sounds and how it plays? And whether the sound and bass is also as powerful as the Nova?

Thank you

I believe the Bugari "equivalent" to the Pigini Nova is the Bugari Spectrum, not the Prime. I have not played either. I did briefly try a Pigini Nova. It's a very fine instrument, lighter to play and somewhat more pleasing than the Sirius. but it's still a Pigini (meaning it sounds like a Pigini). Personally I prefer the sound of Bugari accordions. (I have owned a 289/ARS/C5 in the past, before making the switch to CBA.)
With these types of instruments you have to consider the "law of diminishing returns". These top of the line instruments cost twice of what the best affordable ones cost (like the 289/ARS/C4) and they are better, but if you could "measure" improvement I'd say they are not twice as good while costing twice as much.

I believe the Bugari "equivalent" to the Pigini Nova is the Bugari Spectrum, not the Prime. I have not played either. I did briefly try a Pigini Nova. It's a very fine instrument, lighter to play and somewhat more pleasing than the Sirius. but it's still a Pigini (meaning it sounds like a Pigini). Personally I prefer the sound of Bugari accordions. (I have owned a 289/ARS/C5 in the past, before making the switch to CBA.)
With these types of instruments you have to consider the "law of diminishing returns". These top of the line instruments cost twice of what the best affordable ones cost (like the 289/ARS/C4) and they are better, but if you could "measure" improvement I'd say they are not twice as good while costing twice as much.
Nice analysis Paul. I also thought the Bugari Spectrum was the main competitor of the Pigini Nova. I know you prefer the tone of Bugari and I appreciate your view. Like you, I have both brands (different models), but I sway a fraction more towards Pigini. Actually, I know the Sirius may be an acquired taste, but I would love a Pigini Sirius (pre-owned).

In fact, it's a difficult call for me because almost all of my favourite accordionists play either Bugari/Zero Sette/Petosa or Pigini/Titano accordions. I don't think you could go wrong with either manufacturer but I wouldn't disregard the top Scandalli converters either.

As much as I would like the luxury of being able to spend 25K to 30K on an accordion, I am probably more happy in the same territory that Paul mentions - the high quality converters that are half the price or less.

Last edited:

In fact, it's a difficult call for me because almost all of my favourite accordionists play either Bugari/Zero Sette/Petosa or Pigini/Titano accordions. I don't think you could go wrong with either manufacturer but I wouldn't disregard the top Scandalli converters either.

As much as I would like the luxury of being able to spend 25K to 30K on an accordion, I am probably more happy in the same territory that Paul mentions - the high quality converters that are half the price or less.
The only thing you can do wrong with any of these accordions is to order them without specifying the frequency you want or to give them the wrong one... Happens all the time because most people are unaware that they are not all tuned to the same standard.

For those of us who don't have a showroom handy... what are the differences among the different Bugari high-end models?
Looking at the website, I see six models with 2 freebass reeds (Nextra, Omnia, 2RC, Prestige, Prime, Spectrum), and 3 models with 3 freebass reeds (Selectra, Prime, Spectrum) -- all with the same range, same number of registers, and so on.. I feel like I am missing something obvious, but seeing nothing other than half-centimeter differences in dimensions.

For those of us who don't have a showroom handy... what are the differences among the different Bugari high-end models?
Looking at the website, I see six models with 2 freebass reeds (Nextra, Omnia, 2RC, Prestige, Prime, Spectrum), and 3 models with 3 freebass reeds (Selectra, Prime, Spectrum) -- all with the same range, same number of registers, and so on.. I feel like I am missing something obvious, but seeing nothing other than half-centimeter differences in dimensions.
I don't have all the details. The Nextra and Prestige are 61 note accordions, the others have 64 notes. The Omnia and Selecta exist for many years. The Prime is a bit newer. The Spectrum is the newest (of the 64 note accordions). I'm sure all of these are outstanding accordions, costing a lot more than for instance the 61 note 580/ARS/C which is already excellent.

i know but for my studies i need (unfortunately for my wallet) an expensive instrument

I try to look at it rationally and not by brand or status. What is most important to me is that it sounds good and of course the nova did but I want to avoid buying a 30k instrument and regret it later when I hear a prime

Pigini Nova: 2008
Pigini Sirius: 1981, over 1500 instruments built to date. However, Millenium model: 2000, Kyma: 2017
Bugari Bayan Prime: 2014, based on earliest Bugari facebook posts. However, may be earlier.

Pietro Roffi is one of the rare accordionists who in my opinion is very influential, not only because he is a very fine accordionist, but because he is very cool for an accordionist :ROFLMAO: and a lot of people find him genial. The way he walks and dresses and communicates, he is just a bit different - there is nothing of the dusty, academic ways about him. I also think that his Bayan Prime is total class. But then it would be, great accordionists don't play rotten accordions. I know that before his Bayan Prime he did have a Pigini. I think it was a Sirius, but not sure which version. Fairly recently Pietro Roffi moved away from Bugari and he now plays a Scandalli Extreme accordion. The fact that he has moved away from both Pigini and Bugari does not in my view detract from either of these great names. However, I think it does signal that it is no longer a two horse race these days.

Pietro Roffi has a very good website too.

Pietro Roffi -- what a find!
Very interesting, although not a direct comparison (because of the different register used).
The first video is on the Bugari and the second is the same player on a Pigini. I think it's a Pigini Sirius but I'm not sure.

Not sure really what can be gleaned from YouTube videos with virtuosos playing apart from everything sounds good and recorded sound processing is great! If it were me looking to spend the equivalent of UK median average salary I'd want to go and try the instruments. Would you spend the same on a car without a few test drives?

The Bugari Prime is probably great, but it's just one of several great accordions. Find the sound you love then forget about all the other accordions.

Fair play to you @Miroslav1806, you must be one fine box player to be hunting around these types of instruments. But it's best not to consider an accordion unless you love it - you don't want to end up with buyers remorse.

What's your current accordion?
What studies are you undertaking?

Last edited:
"...you must be one fine box player to be hunting around these types of instruments."

Not necessarily, Andrew - I know a few Porche drivers who must have obtained their driving licenses from a breakfast cereal box!

I have a 'thing' about associating tools, instruments, machines etc. with skill, performance and capabilities. I have often felt that it is the least competent who are in need of the 'very best' equipment - particularly students, apprentices and other 'learners', especially the musically sensitive pupils.
A 'master' of a skill can create quality results with inferior tools, but a less proficient person may not produce acceptable work from even the finest of instruments.
I am convinced that the talented music student needs an instrument which creates the very best sounds and playability which can be afforded, otherwise they will be discouraged by their inability to produce pleasant and enjoyable music.

A Prime is probably great, but it's just one of several great accordions. Find the sound you love then forget about all the other accordions.
That is exactly what my wife and I did in 1999, when we went to the Frankfurter Musikmesse to choose which accordion to buy. We asked at every accordion maker's booth to try one (5 voice PA, double cassotto) and then I played and we both listened (to get the player's and the listener's impression). We tried many, and for us the conclusion was very clear: we ended up buying a Bugari 285/ARS. When we went back later to buy select another accordion to buy (for my wife) we found the Beltuna Leader V which we would have bought had it not been so much more expensive than the Bugari. (We ended up buying another Bugari 285/ARS.) Trying, and also listening is very important in selecting what you want, and while you can get a rough sound impression from YouTube movies you really need to hear the instrument live to hear finer nuances.
The "forget about all the other accordions" is great advice if you want to buy just one accordion and be done. That's not exactly how it happened with us... and we now have 4: one Hohner (Morino), two Bugari (ARS) and one AKKO... If we had to do it all over again, who knows what the outcome would be...

I contacted someone and he said 'I wouldn't recommend bugari at the moment' he wouldn't tell me why. Does anyone have an idea why "at the moment", might have something to do with Ukraine?

Back