• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Bretagne En Fete

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxplayer4000

Prolific poster
Reaction score
This lively tune and setting for its playing was a reminder of many dances I was lucky enough to attend and play at. It’s refreshing to see a contemporary crowd respond to music which is not of the more modern, bland variety. I couldn’t find the music so tried to listen hard and jot it down. Written music is not my first ‘language’ so any suggestions or corrections would be welcome.
To maintain the 32 bar sequence I have repeated the 2nd part.

Bretagne5.jpg

Somehow I am reminded of the Kenny Everett show by this clip, no idea why....

John: Thanks. It's one of my small steps in remaining connected.
Saundersbp: I remember Kenny Everett well but the connection to the clip escapes me.

This lively tune and setting for its playing was a reminder of many dances I was lucky enough to attend and play at. It’s refreshing to see a contemporary crowd respond to music which is not of the more modern, bland variety. I couldn’t find the music so tried to listen hard and jot it down. Written music is not my first ‘language’ so any suggestions or corrections would be welcome.

Bretagne5.jpg
Lively little tune and thanks for taking the trouble to write it out. Another one to learn. Do you have a name for it?
I loved watching the dancers. Some of them really give it some welly.
I have been to a few similar bals around La Creuse, many of them in the open air where the whole town square was filled with people of all ages dancing and enjoying themselves. A notable one a few years ago had Geoff de Limousin , who seems to have been absent from the forum of lately, playing with his band. Great memories :)

Bretagne5.jpg
Excellent work! Your notation is awesome and easy to read. I don't think that there is anything to improve. Even commercially published sheet music contains errors so you should be proud of your attempt.
Many long years ago, when playing with a band we used to purchase scores containing the various parts for different instruments. Accordion, alto, tennor and trumpet. Most of the time we would need to make major corrections so we gave up purchasing all of the parts and would write out our own from the piano score.
I tried handwriting something not too long ago and found it to be extremely tedious, so hats off to you!

Thanks all for taking the trouble to respond.
The tune, to me, is lively and catchy and like the lager advert from many years ago 'it reaches the parts others don't'.
I also like the clear, sharp musette of the accordion playing it. Would anybody like to offer an opinion on the tuning and
reeds of this accordion?

I'm sure that one of the experts will be along shortly to say that one or other of your reeds is a fraction of a cent out of tune, but to my ears the sound and tuning is just perfect . Your version, being played a tad slower , sounds Scottish and I think would go down well to something like a Gay Gordons. The musette tuning on Angelique's original version sounds a bit stronger and, with the faster pace, sounds more French.
I think both versions are equally good. Just my humble opinion. (y)
Was this played on your Morino?

Pipemajor: Thanks for your input.
When I talked about tuning I was referring to the french lady's accordion at the head of the thread. It's s very clear, sharp musette which I find attractive.
The tune itself, as you say, would suit a lot of dances popular here based on march type music, such as the 'Gay Gordons' or the 'Edinburgh Mix' etc.
The recording I tried to make was on my Morino 1VM with midied bass.
Another tune which is taking my attention is called 'La Petite Diligence' from the same neck of the woods in France I think. It has a slightly more polka feel and would lend itself to some of our polka/barn dance rhythms.

I think Angelique's accordion is tuned in the typical, now a little dated, French style which suits the type of music played but would be a bit too strong for general playing. I would say your Morino is just spot on.
On a completely different tack, I find that watching live performances of bands and dancers absolutely fascinating.
Anyone else notice that the bass player/singer was keeping time by clenching his right buttock in time with the music?:giggle:

Pipemajor: I share your enthusiasm of watching the dancers enjoyment of the music. What is music about if its not to reach either your feet or vocal chords? The pleasure of playing some brisk reels for an energetic 8-some is, for me, as pleasing as having the dancers sing along at the same time as they dance. Regarding your observation of the bass player’s keeping time with his body movements reminded me of the muscle control expert who performed to the Cha Cha tune, ‘Wheels’.
La Petite Diligence is played in Eb on the above clip. Andre Claveau (not quite sure if he is the actual composer) sings it on C sharp (ouch) on another YouTube video.
Apart from a few trills that the player introduces this is what I think he is playing:-

LaPetiteDiligenceEb.jpeg

Ah yes, I remember the" Wheels" routine on TV. Showing our age here ? .
Thanks for the dots to La Petite Diligence. Another one for the ever increasing list of tunes to try. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.