• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Basses too loud. Any suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerardo1000

Reaction score
I love my chromatic button accordion, but the trebles are overwhelmed by the basses, especially in the clarinet and musette registers. My accordion only have one bass register, so there is no way to make any adjustment. I tried taping the back with blue carpenter tape, with no success. I have another accordion, with piano keys, a Hohner Bravo 72, and the balance between basses and trebles is perfect. Any suggestion? Thanks!

If you're not already doing it (which you might be, given that your Bravo sounds okay), be sure you're making your bass notes very short and snappy--as if the buttons are red hot and you can only press them for a quick moment before releasing.

That doesn't affect the actual volume of the basses, but it will reduce the apparent volume of them, relative to the treble side.

Sometimes I've had boxes than sounded to bright and loud on the bass end and have thread a sheet of paper between the high reeds and the plates to stop them screaming.... Just an idea... Simple experiment and reversable instantly if no help...

Without hearing you perform with the accordion it's difficult for us to give you a solution. Now I'm not saying this is your
case but many accordionists unknowingly tend to drag their basses when playing. If you care, try playing a simple tune
you know and purposely hen-peck the bass buttons when playing. This will result in a lesser volume of sound from the bass
machine. Let us know your results.

Without hearing you perform with the accordion it's difficult for us to give you a solution. Now I'm not saying this is your
case but many accordionists unknowingly tend to drag their basses when playing. If you care, try playing a simple tune
you know and purposely hen-peck the bass buttons when playing. This will result in a lesser volume of sound from the bass
machine. Let us know your results.
Sorry English is not my mother tongue. What does hen-peck means? Thank you!

I've never heard it referred to as "hen pecking", but that's a good analogy!

This guy would make a good accordion player:

moana-chicken.gif

I have had a similar issue which gets magnified with amplification, of course.

Some accordions have better balance than others.

For acoustic treatment (here comes the sacrilege) I have had some success in creating a carboard baffle installed to the soundboard over top of the bass reeds.

For amplified situations turn down the bass in the eq.

YMMV.

I had an accordion that was off balance and the basses were too loud. Aldo Mencaccini placed some felt over the holes on the bass side and that took care of the problem. Now that accordion was not one of the high-end accordions, so chances are it was not made that well. If Jim D's suggestion doesn't work, you might want to try the felt idea.
Good luck!

Gerardo,
The bases are getting relatively too much air.
Is there a way of installing a baffle to reduce the volume of air entering the bases?
A nice piece of felt (Zevy's suggestion, above) could be a simple way ?.
On the other hand, reserve this instrument for playing with a dance band??

Last edited:
Aldo Mencaccini placed some felt over the holes on the bass side and that took care of the problem.
I've done the same with 48 bass accordions in the past. I've used cardboard taped on the edges as it's easy to remove.
Quite a few melodeon players I know do this too.
The felt idea sounds ideal though as it'll still allow some passage of air through.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back