• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Ashokan Farewell - soundtrack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piotr

Reaction score
Something else this time. Soundtrack from The Civil War on Roland.

<YOUTUBE id=H57MpaSzvlM url=></YOUTUBE>

:ch

Beautiful - I love the simple treatment, with just well-chosen harmonies here and there.

Is it worth mentioning that this was originally a Farewell Waltz written by Jay Ungar to close Fiddle weekends he organised.
Its one of those tunes that is being absorbed into the Folk repertoire - sometimes thought to be trad Irish or Scots.
See here for Jay Ungars playing:
<YOUTUBE id=2kZASM8OX7s url=></YOUTUBE>
I liked your version a lot. Some tunes are really challenging to play while keeping their pared back simplicity.

Nice job as always, Piotr!

For those looking for more wonderful waltz compositions from Jay Ungar, this ones probably my favorite...

<YOUTUBE id=7ljF9bDWrIg url=></YOUTUBE>

That last video from the transatlantic sessions with Ally Bain on fiddle reminded me of a fabulous night a good few years ago when I saw Phil Cunningham and Ally Bain in concert at a pub in the east end of London. They were very friendly and came round to chat with everyone after the show. I got a couple of
their CDs which they both signed for me. Happy days :D

A belated “well done” from me.
A really nice tune.
May I ask what setting you had on the Roland (if you can remember).
Was it a factory preset? It fitted very well to the music.

I think that one thing Roland missed when designing their accordions was the possibility to create “micro” imperfections into each virtual reed. Although it would be quite an effort to program them in it would make each preset unique and even more like the real world.

Thanks Gleen, it was factory reset - probably 32 - if I right remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back