• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Another project started... how to show off your accordions a little!

It's not even as much as prices, but how is your French? :D :D :D
Sadly, it is getting worse here for non-french speaking people all the time. I find the locals more and more loathe to say anything in English where are few years ago it was pretty much a 50-50 split. The only thing that I have found that magically unlocks their tongues are when you pull out your wallet.

As I said... sad.
The worst part is that the Canadian French isn't really French... My French is not too bad but I have to pay very close attention to make sense of what they are trying to say. (And of course I can only respond in either English or real French.) Words like "breuvage" (American English: beverage) come to mind...
Keeping accordions warm in Canada is non-trivial this time of the year. In fact, it's becoming an expensive undertaking even here (the Netherlands) and we only have temperatures around freezing point (0c or 32F).

Nice job Jerry, but that 20 degree temp is not for the faint of heart......and certainly not for me !

The worst part is that the Canadian French isn't really French... My French is not too bad but I have to pay very close attention to make sense of what they are trying to say. (And of course I can only respond in either English or real French.) Words like "breuvage" (American English: beverage) come to mind...
We all seem to have different experiences and I will say that I politely disagree with that comment.

I'd call my level of French as "professional level" as I work and live in a now primarily French province and deal with people from France on a nearly daily basis. I had written out a whole post, but decided to delete it, as the language thing here in Quebec is really a political issue... so I am not going that direction (against forum rules). :)

We all seem to have different experiences and I will say that I politely disagree with that comment.

I'd call my level of French as "professional level" as I work and live in a now primarily French province and deal with people from France on a nearly daily basis. I had written out a whole post, but decided to delete it, as the language thing here in Quebec is really a political issue... so I am not going that direction (against forum rules). :)
No need to debate language differences here. I'm suffering enough here from the difference between Flemish and Dutch (officially the same language). And although music is supposed to be a universal language we are stuck with the B versus H difference...
The temperature issue is more serious for the accordions. As I do tuning the workshop ideally needs to stay between 20 and 22 degrees centigrade, which corresponds to typical performance temperatures. When an accordion is tuned at 20 to 22 it is quite usable between 18 and 25 degrees. Currently heating the workshop to 20 degrees is expensive, and in summer cooling it to 22 is also expensive...

Back