• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Alternatives to shoulder straps?

stickista

Reaction score
I hate the idea of strapping myself into an instrument. Don’t know why, but I just do. Maybe because it feels like a carpenter’s tool belt more than a musical instrument, or maybe just because I tend to be a little claustrophobic.
I want to sit AT the piano, or sit with my guitar ON my lap (I don’t like guitar straps either.)
Its why I love my bandoneons, that sit ON my lap.

That said, is there a way to stabilize accordion so it can be played on the lap, without straps?
As a compromise I was considering the idea of a snap strap attached to the lower right corner of the right keyboard that loops around the thigh and snaps back onto the origin point, but I’d prefer ‘a capella’. 😉

Last edited:
Two thoughts come to mind:
First, I have seen a video of an older Italian accordionist who appeared to be playing without any shoulder straps, the accordion perched on his lap.
Second , several older players (either seated or standing) with their accordions held by a metal accordion stand, no shoulder straps.

Last edited:
I’ve seen some players put both shoulder straps on one shoulder and play that way.

Personally, I think having shoulder straps on makes a player feel that their accordion is part of them, or an extension of them, more than just balancing the instrument on their lap. Also, when an accordion gets to be above twenty pounds or so, it’s kind of hard to control it without using shoulder straps.

When demonstrating some lessons for me, and to avoid having to readjust my straps for him, I recall that my accordion teacher would just place my accordion on his lap, use his chin to hold the top of the accordion in place, and proceed to play with no apparent handicap at all. So, while it is not something I would want to do, it is definitely possible.

yeah, for beginner level, you may not need straps to use an accordion, but the moment you get even close to needing bellows control, you will need to hold that accordion to your chest.

There are different kinds of straps, but I think that you will find the shoulder straps are the ones least like a carpenter tool belt.

That said, if nothing makes you feel good, an accordion just simply may not be a good fit as an instrument for you!

Back