• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Almost too close for comfort...

Status
Not open for further replies.

embers

Reaction score
There are many news reports focusing on the West Coast fires. If all could be consolidated into one complete weather map, the thirteen states with almost 100 fires make it look like the western U.S. is ablaze. Not too far off either!

I've been receiving some phone calls and texts from two family members -- a brother living outside of San Francisco, and my youngest daughter living south of Portland, OR. My brother has twice recently been under a "prepare to evacuate" condition, as the nearest fire ranged between 4-8 miles from their house. Just yesterday, my daughter wrote and said that the country next to her county just received the same "prepare to evacuate" notification. She is about 15 miles southwest of edge of the fire zone of the huge fire near Portland area, can see the orange glow and smoke in the sky, and said her cat comes inside smelling of a campfire. Plus being outside quickly makes a person thirsty.

I used to live in the same OR city my daughter remained in after I returned to the Midwest. Yeah, that's why I titled this "too close for comfort." Sure are most hard and sad situations for many folk in those states. For members on our forum who have family or friends near any fire area, thoughts and prayer for their safety. ~Bob

I wish the best of luck to your family Bob.

Bob,
Living in an area regularly devastated by bushfires (as we call them) I sincerely sympathise with you and yours at this very difficult time.
All we can do is pray and wait for wetter weather and hope it comes in time,?

Thanks, Bob. I have 2 sons in the San Francisco Bay area and one in Portland.
Very tough.
It gets very bad here in Montana, too, but we’re hoping the rains and snow come soon to save us.

BBC News has been featuring the wild fires in several Western States, so we in the UK are fully appraised of the devastation being caused in those regions. We are probably seeing the same dreadful pictures that you are seeing, and hoping that these freak blazes can be brought under control quickly in order to prevent any more loss of life.

Good Luck,

Stephen.

One of three news programs I rotate watching is BBC World News America, and have seen mostly similar coverage as US reporting. Yes, for too many folk it is a nightmare.

Harder than viewing the pictures is reading what survivors are saying about the loss of family/friends, their homes, pets, and so on. The one that really tugged at me yesterday was a man and wife who had to quickly evacuate their farm in OR, and were unable to take their blind horse out. We had a horse when my folks acquired a non-productive farm for their retirement. It must be awful to leave any loved animal behind...

Thanks again, Stephen. As they say, "no news is good news." So far, all is quiet and hopefully status quo for my family members. ~Bob

last week it was 'smoggy' in the Netherlands for two days

they told it was from those fires

I thought that was crazy, but apparantly it's true

that must be huge

all the best!

Jozz, I'm not certain about the smoke reaching the Netherlands. But it does widely travel. About a month ago there were NASA reports that CA smoke was reaching +600 miles off the CA coast. Today can be added the WA State, OR, and fires from other States. Reports this past week said West Coast smoke has now traveled 2500 miles into New York State.

My OR daughter wrote yesterday that they had a mist in the morning, which helped breathing outdoors. She said "better days are coming." Water is the resolution according to scientific study. Quoted: "Smoke does not go away. True smoke is tiny drops of oil and do not evaporate much. There are carbon particles in smoke as well. They do not disappear as well but remain in the atmosphere for a very long time until a raindrop uses it to form and it then falls from the sky." I'll be glad to see the fall and winter rainy season come early for my daughter this year.

I'm certain this "simple" paragraph has additional impacting factors. Enough to know the smoke is not healthy to breathe, and its odor is absorbed into everything it touches. Just thought :unsure: that I wouldn't want my accordions in my daughter's house during all this. Yeah, such fires are a huge challenge as you said.

We're starting to see it in Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back