• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

All Blues

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Enjoyed playing with this theme from Miles Davis Kind of Blue album..
All Blues...
I'll confess I recorded bass run and chord vamp first and added melody/horn line after as an experiment to garner more expressions from the bellows...
Will probably work in this manner in future for audio recording as hoping to make mini E.P. of gospel Blues this year....
Hope cools you all down....πŸ™
Thanks for watching...
P.S it's Duke Ellington at the end....πŸ˜‰

Last edited:
I'll confess I recorded bass run and chord vamp first and added melody/horn line after as an experiment to garner more expressions from the bellows...
Problem with that approach is that it really sounds like two instruments, and particularly using only the left hand on instrument #1 is then underselling it. It would probably take a lot of work and perfection to get this to sound like one instrument, and then you are probably already half the way of doing a single take.

Super cool, Terry! I don’t recall all these video effects from previous videos. Go for the album!!!!!!

Keep the tracks comin' Terry...

You're transporting me
to the Deep South
by train...
All aboard!

Thanks...
@dak .... I'm not worried if sounds like more than one instrument...I'm pretty sure Miles Davis didn't want the arrangement to sound like it was played on one trumpet πŸ˜‰...I've little interest in being an accordion virtuoso...I just like exploring music..
@Tom ....thanks ..no I don't usually mess with editing and effects but as I had no visuals on audio track had to do something....I like tinkering with pocket tech and did this on my phone with a piece of free software in the time it took to boil a couple of eggs...if only accordion was as simple...
@Walker . ..... Feel free to hop on and ride my hobo train anytime
πŸͺ— πŸš‚ 🎺

Enjoyed playing with this theme from Miles Davis Kind of Blue album..
All Blues...
Will probably work in this manner in future for audio recording as hoping to make mini E.P. of gospel Blues this year....
Hope cools you all down....πŸ™
Thanks for watching...
P.S it's Duke Ellington at the end....πŸ˜‰
I see your playing an ELKA in one of the stills.
I think I have just bought its twin.
Mine was bought new about 20 years ago by a PA player who fancied trying CBA.
After a couple of weeks he found he couldn't get on with it so put it away in a closet.
He passed away recently and that's how I came to get it.
Mine only arrived today and so far I'm delighted with it. It's a model 602 LMMMH.
I would be interested in your comments on yours please

I see your playing an ELKA in one of the stills.
I think I have just bought its twin.
It feels like getting a CBA is all the rage in the forum these days. Mind you, I can use all the headstart I can get. Y'all'll make me look old in a few years.

Last edited:
@Pipemajor I no longer have the Elka but it was a mighty fine box, well balanced and a joy to play, was an LMH model with L in Cassotto....
It had an awesome tone but alas was tuned at A446hz...so now is in Japan..
I'd buy another if was tuned no higher than 442hz as I play with others and can't get away with anything higher without sounding like a banshee...
Incidentally Elka were made in the SEM factory along with Piermaria and SEM....nailed in reeds ....I love these accordions....
This tune was played on Piermaria with just the Cassotto Bassoon reed...
Enjoy

Thanks Terry,
it's always good to get an opinion from someone who has owned one before.
Also pleased to hear they have pinned in reads. Makes minor adjustments so much easier.
Mine only arrived yesterday but already I'm loving it. It's tuned 440, which I had checked on before I bought it. LMMMH with no cassotto which I didn't particularily want. I would have preferred LMMM, but the price I got it for, a virtually brand new box which had been put away for nearly 20 years, was a no brainer.
I opened it up to remove the packing and the inside is spotlessly clean, no rust or smells.
One thing that struck me as soon as I played it was how responsive it is. Got to improve my bellows technique now. Just a few valve leathers need sorting out and I'm good to go.
Thanks again Terry, Ian

Back