• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Ain't Misbehavin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dandy little chestnut of a tune...not written for a ships piano but never mind ... here goes....
Id like to say a massive thank you to BobM who unfortunately doesnt appear on this site as often as he did...
A great help and very knowledgeable guy who helped with this arrangement, sadly my playing does not do him justice...

Hi Dave, Sorry Terry, what was I thinking of..
It's coming along nicely. Try putting a little daylight between the the notes on both hands, it'll give a little more rhythm to the piece, and nice use of the dim off the ccounterbass row in the middle eight. Don't forget about the Am7 counterbass as well.

Have been off all forums, this is my busy work time, sometimes as many as 3 gigs a day at the moment..

BobM.

Yep I like what you got going. Also I would try a single reed to bring out that jazz thing. Keep up the good work!

More good stuff. BobM has also helped me with harmonies. Well just one chord in fact, but I wouldn't have thought of it on my own. It has been good for me to equip myself with some of the tools to work out my own left hand parts, but sometimes it makes all the difference to get a tip from someone who really knows what harmonies are possible. Much appreciated BobM. And keep on misbehaving losthobos.

Another good point is the intro and tag ending, but I'd be inclined to miss out out the LH on the intro and shift the melody into a hight octave to create more separation. There's also the way to have a rising bass line using inversions of Dim chords.

Thanks for the heads up Matt, there's SO much that is possible with the Stradella, it's seen as the poor relation to the free-bass, but I don't believe that it is.

BobM.

Ha...so true BobM, less is more but I always struggle to leave the gaps in the right places...even the picket fence outside my caravan looks like the Berlin Wall
Sure the stradella system is more than adequate whilst with have a teacher like you showing us where the colours may be found
Pray tell us more about the Bass runs derived from the Diminished Inversions

There's a few ways to play these first few bars, you could use this as a variation?

Each bass note is half a bar in length, so, C, Csharp Dim, Dmin, Dsharp dim, C7/E, C7/E, F, Fmin.

Also try using this in "Tiptoe through the tulips".. :)

Thanks Bob, lovely little run up/progression, will be filed away in the ammo box till I need to set the box on stun
3 gigs a day? Busy time of year? What you playing.....a punch and Judy show or a crematorium

losthobos said:
Thanks Bob, lovely little run up/progression, will be filed away in the ammo box till I need to set the box on stun
3 gigs a day? Busy time of year? What you playing.....a punch and Judy show or a crematorium

Today, 26th Aug I played at a regatta (trombone) in the afternoon, and later at a 5 star hotel. (Bass Gtr.) Not bad for a Wednesday.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back