• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Advice for testing a used V Accordion

nikola

new bee
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I'm a newbie from Toronto, having started learning the accordion 8 months ago with no prior musical experience, its been an amazing journey so far :D. I started learning with a used FR-1X as practicing with headphones on was pretty crucial to not torture my apartment neighbours ๐Ÿ˜…, while also learning on my teacher's acoustic in his home studio to get a better understanding of the differences between acoustic and digital.

That said, I'm already hitting a point where the FR-1X keyboard is starting to feel limiting in what songs I can learn so I am starting to look into upgrades (ideally a 4X or 8X). There are a couple used ones I've seen at the Long & McQuade music shop in Toronto of both models, but I wanna make sure I know what to look out for to make sure that they are in good condition when testing them out in person!

Outside of testing general playability, bellows, and keys, are there any specific parts of either the FR-4X or FR-8X that should be checked over on a used accordion? Are there any obvious issues with the screen, batteries, or software that could be looked out for? Are there warranty concerns with buying used?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

I have the same experience as you, starting with a FR-1x and then I bought a 4x. It was actually new, but had a problem with one of the buttons. My advice is that you walk through each and every switches to ensure that they work as expected. E.g. does the Organ-switch trigger the organ sounds of the accordion? Does the accordion button together with the organ switch trigger these sounds simultaneously.

i would not advise a "newbie" to buy any kind of expensive used accordion,
acoustic OR digital, because the risks of getting screwed are huge

plus dealing with a music store you will not save much from a new one..
new V-Accordions HAVE a WARRANTY.. get a new FR4x and have a happy life

VENTURA:
I have to hand it to you-------------"you tells it like it".
I enjoy your candid comments as I do the comments from Paul DeBra, Jim D. and many others.
I guess you have been there, and done that, so you can say it up-front.
Thank you,

Thanks for the advice everyone! Ventura, I assume from your advice that even aside from warranty concerns (which is a big concern to be sure), there is no reliable way to test a used digital accordion to be in good enough condition to be worth the risk then, and I shouldn't even bother checking out the used models?

My FR-1X came to me used (I'm the second owner) from the same store and included their own 1 year extendable warranty, although I have no clue how well their warranty compares to Roland's.

Hi folks!

I'm a newbie from Toronto, having started learning the accordion 8 months ago with no prior musical experience, its been an amazing journey so far :D. I started learning with a used FR-1X as practicing with headphones on was pretty crucial to not torture my apartment neighbours ๐Ÿ˜…, while also learning on my teacher's acoustic in his home studio to get a better understanding of the differences between acoustic and digital.

That said, I'm already hitting a point where the FR-1X keyboard is starting to feel limiting in what songs I can learn so I am starting to look into upgrades (ideally a 4X or 8X). There are a couple used ones I've seen at the Long & McQuade music shop in Toronto of both models, but I wanna make sure I know what to look out for to make sure that they are in good condition when testing them out in person!

Outside of testing general playability, bellows, and keys, are there any specific parts of either the FR-4X or FR-8X that should be checked over on a used accordion? Are there any obvious issues with the screen, batteries, or software that could be looked out for? Are there warranty concerns with buying used?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!
Before you purchase, check out Anderson's in Burlington. He's the largest Canadian Roland accordion dealer and is willing to go over your concerns. You can purchase new or used there and although Long & McQuade is a favorite place they have about zero knowledge of everything accordion related.

hey Nicola,

it's just accordions are so complex, and there are so many things
that can be a costly hidden problem and how can a Newbie without
the general experience or even years of reading about issues and
fixes have a chance VS: a seller ?

i mean you would have one heck of a time in a WEEK just trying everything
on a big Roland once, much less before you left the store.. and would you even know
something was "off" unless it was glaringly obvious ?

even Roland has a hard time getting parts, and there are very few Roland techs
who have a clue about the V-Accordions, much less a 3rd party Music store..
Roland USA gave up at one point even trying to fix FR-series instruments, and
shipped EVERYTHING they had from the service dept in California up to Canada, and
for a long time quietly re-routed all repairs from the USA up to the Canadian team..

i don't know if that is still true, but it shows how desperate things were for a time

not to say there are not a few used bargains to be had, but you would take a
huge risk whereas i would be taking a minor risk , you see ?

and there are actually Rolands that have gotten so balled up from programming
"accidents" that people sold them off thinking they needed repair..
one 4x lost much of it's Volume and got worse and worse to play for the original
owner and he let it go cheap before it lost all "value" (that ws his perception)
and it might have been really messed up or it might have just needed a reset
but that is a flip of the coin

hence, since you feel you are a true newbie, i recommend the best way forward
for you is the safest way (at this time, in your personal journey)

hey, maybe after owning a new 4x for a couple years, you will have
gained the experience to grab a bargain used FR8 someday

Valski - Thank you, I had actually contacted Anderson's Accordions prior to making this thread, they currently do not have any used models of the 4X or 8X, but do have new models in stock. I was hoping that getting feedback from here and potentially testing out the accordions at L&McQ would help me make a decision between taking a chance on used versus saving up a bit more to buy new from Andersons.

Ventura - Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom, you've convinced me that its a safer bet to go for new and not take a risk for a bigger upgrade. I appreciate your patience in breaking down the details from your experience.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad I checked in here :)

I am actually going to be at Anderson's accordion sales later this week. If you want to talk to someone in real life that has owned an 8X since late 2016, let me know. :)

I am actually going to be at Anderson's accordion sales later this week. If you want to talk to someone in real life that has owned an 8X since late 2016, let me know. :)
Purchased mine from Keith Anderson back in January of 2016. Great experience and he's a pleasure to deal with.

Haha, that is mighty kind of you to offer! I just moved into a new apartment and this week is chaos, but I would love to take you (or anyone else ๐Ÿ‘€) up on that offer in the future, I'd be delighted and definitely humbled! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Maybe a few of us that will be in that area could get together and perhaps go for a beer or have a Beer Barrel Polka contest? :D :D :D
Sign me up!

You are lucky you're in Toronto! The Roland Canada Service is there! Also, near Roland Service, there is the biggest music store in Canada. If I where you, I would get a deal on a used one confident that I could get it in top shape at Roland Canada Service in Richmond, Toronto.

Roland Canada Service
Unit 3 - 80 West Beaver Creek Road
Richmond Hill ON, L4B 1H3
647-361-2080 option 2.

Cosmo Music
10 Via Renzo Drive
Richmond Hill, Ontario L4S 0B6
Canada

I visited COSMO, amazing music store and it is easy to spend an entire afternoon there and still not see everything they have to offer... sadly NOTHING even remotely accordion related in any of their tens of thousands of square feet of stores.

Back