• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Accordion on a boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not consider the ubiquitous cheap, Chinese Melodica.
It's made of plastic with brass reeds. I bought one recently for under £12.00 including carrying case and free postage and it's brilliant.
A couple of the notes needed tuning but it only took 10 minutes to dismantle it and tune them to an acceptable standard.
Only down side is you can't drink and play at the same time.:confused:
However, if it gets damaged or accidently (deliberately) lost over board, then it's no big deal
Well if we’re going down that route then a Hohner Marine Band gob iron would do the trick, and you can get them in most keys for very little.

This thread has certainly given me a lot to think about. If I do decide to bring a CBA on board, I'll be sure to check back in every once in a while to give an update on how the instrument is holding up.

I almost forgot....

Last time this "instrument" kept me entertained on the fights between San Francisco and New York. It did so well on a plane. I'm sure it'll do well on a boat.

Here it is, with its mask on a la Covid-19 fashion, even with the dots on the treble C/F keys, and on the bass C/E/Ab keys.

_DSC7574.jpg

With the mask off:

_DSC7575.jpg

I almost forgot....

Last time this "instrument" kept me entertained on the fights between San Francisco and New York. It did so well on a plane. I'm sure it'll do well on a boat.

Here it is, with its mask on a la Covid-19 fashion, even with the dots on the treble C/F keys, and on the bass C/E/Ab keys.

_DSC7574.jpg

With the mask off:

_DSC7575.jpg

iPad Hohner accordion app? Love the mask - how did you cut out the holes?

Fantastic Pentaprism! I had the app on my old phone. I may have to download it again.

This is an old thread:

(Improved) Hohner MIDI Chromatic Accordion

The mask is 2 parts:

- A clear acetate sheet. Something like this.
- An adhesive foam sheet. Something like this.

I made a photocopy of the Hohner app on the iPad screen, attached the photocopy to the foam sheet (watch out for the orientation and the side with adhesive), then punched away with a hollow punch tool like this. Then I attached the punched foam sheet to the acetate sheet.

I glued velcro dots at the corners of the iPad and of the mask to keep the mask from moving around.

On the iPad's 12.9" screen, the distances between buttons are very close to those on the Victoria Montparnasse.

Not as nice as an FR-8xb, but not as big and heavy either.

I also have the Anglo Concertina app. But it's not as "close to the real thing" as the Accordion app because it simulates the direction of the bellows with the left/right tilt of the iPad, very unnatural (but I don't know how else to do it). The mask is even more crucial with the concertina app, because your palms will be touching the screen. Without the mask, the app will be very confused.

_DSC7576.jpg

Last edited:
After looking at used CBAs, I am starting to think that a used student model piano accordion might be a more affordable option.

After looking at used CBAs, I am starting to think that a used student model piano accordion might be a more affordable option.

Have you looked at melodeons (sometimes called diatonic button accordions)? You can get secondhand ones very cheaply on eBay and they’re such simple instruments that you can do virtually any required repairs yourself. Eg this site has a whole collection of excellent melodeon repair videos:

Chris

since you live in New Jersey, you know you can throw a rock in almost any direction and
it will bounce off an old 2 reed Student PA

have you checked with JoAnne at ACME (westmont NJ) ?

and this one on CList looks decent in the pic

Chris, I've spent a little bit of time with a melodeon. I haven't been able to get the push/pull mechanics down. I haven't ruled it out, but I'm leaning towards something with at least 48 bass buttons. Thanks for the link. I am always interested in learning more about all free reed instruments.

Ventura, I haven't checked in with JoAnne in a few years. I should stop by one day. Liberty Bellows gets nice student instruments in quite often too.
The Crucinelli really is a good price!

I second that the Crucianelli could be sweet at $250 IF (big if) it is in good shape, tuning, leathers, bellows etc. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back