• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

accordion museum online

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 48

This website offers an overview of accordion manufacturers by country
eg Italian :
http://accordion-museum.com/en/accordions/it

also information on accordion festivals, museums, etcetera

Its great to see a single website with info on most accordion manufacturers, and its in English
If you click eg on the Italian manufacturers name, you have a brief intro on the company history

Quite inaccurate and misleading website -- It lists importers and dealers names as manufactures. For example - Black Diamond and Titano are importers and not manufactures. Also Dallape has been out of business for years and the name is now only used as a model name by Roland. In their Genres section they post a picture of the late Mel Torme and under the photo it says Guido Diero !! Makes you ?? their other information and sources. Reading the website over I was expecting to see a claim that the accordion was a Russian invention. :eek: :lol: :oops:

The museum info is interesting, but as you say Jim, the data on manufacturers must be a work in progress... it's only got one Chinese manufacturer listed and that's actually the model name and not necessarily the maker.

Trouble is, this site looks so professional it will become fact, however inaccurate it is.

Yes, that's the problem. Looks much to professional. Proper info on accordion history and manufacture's can be found world wide on the web today with little effort. With the mis-information posted and the picture of the director in an (ill fitting but comical) 1930' suit & shirt , I suspect an ulterior motive for this website's creation. :cool: :twisted: :cool:

Yes, he does look a bit like he could be Putin's more camp twin brother.

Its true there are some mistakes on this virtual accordion museum website.
But at least it is a first attempt to make a website that groups info on accordion at global level. These Russians keep an eye on the international accordion scene.

How much USA, UK or Western Europe English internet websites about accordion are there offering complete and 100% correct information on Russian or Asian accordion industry and accordion society ?? Zero, because they dont even understand Russian.
If this website was only in Russian, you wouldnt even notice the mistakes about accordion... At least, they give a translation in English on their website.

There are also mistakes in the accordion history section of the http://www.accordions.com website.
Mistakes can be corrected, why not send some emails to this website and showing them the hyperlinks to more correct information on eg Guido Deiro?

nobodys perfect...
The problem is these websites mostly are the work of some dedicated individuals who are short in time and money to research all in detail.
But the advantage of the internet is, you can help them.
Send them some emails with your thoughts about their mistakes, Im sure if you can send them the hyperlinks with correct information, they will thank you for it.

In fact, why dont the Italians in Castelfidardo do this job, I mean making a similar website, these Italians are in the center of the action in Castelfidardo, Recanati and other places.
If we have to wait for the Italians...

The simple fact is that accurate information on the musical instrument now commonly called the accordion, it's inception's, origins; developments, history, manufacturer's and artist's, is, has already appeared, and will forever be on the worldwide web, and can be found on sites such as Wikipedia and many others. This so called Contemporary Accordion Museum's posting inaccurate information without proper research, simply shows the their ignorance of the facts at hand.
And yes Ed, maybe a bigger shovel !! :lol: {} :lol:

It is aan odd affair.
Mr Shaburov is also proud to be the director of the Contemporary Museum of Calligraphy. This is a sister school offering calligraphy classes and selling conferences and exhibitions as well as instructional classes. Maybe this is the way the accordion museum is heading, namely towards teaching (which to be fair is no bad thing ). Alternatively It could be a money laundering operation :)

If you check the contacts section of this online accordion museum website, you can read Alexander Selivanov is part of this project, probably in part responsible of the content about accordion on this website. He is winner of several international accordion competitions, and professor at the Gnessin Moscow music conservatory.
His biography can be read here:
http://www.accordions.com/selivanov/

The website mentions about the plans of opening a real accordion museum in 2015 in some park around Moscow. I dont know if these plans will be realised, well have to wait and see. Suppose depends on budgets and finances.
Anyhow, the contacts section contains names, photos, email adresses and telephone numbers. Should be easy to verify it this website is real or a fake.

Information on Wikipedia about accordion is very fragmentised, often incorrect, and the information has to be searched in several lemmas.

Creating one single website about all aspects of accordion is a gigantic work, that can only be completed by a dedicated team of researchers with enough money.
Until today no music department of a university has ever created such a website under guidance of scholars/professors.

The best we could do is to give feedback to this Shaburov and his team. Maybe they can improve, correct and build up their website with suggestions from accordionists.

There is no information on accordion history or accordion manufacturers on the websites of the World of Accordions Museum, Deutsches Harmonika Museum, Castelfidardo Fisarmonica Museo, Alfred Mirek Accordion museum, ...

Can someone give me a hyperlink to a better virtual online accordion museum with more detailed information on history, on manufacturers, etc. ?
Because so far, I havent found any...

This one is a first attempt to regroup some information about accordion on a single website. Indeed a pity there are mistakes and incorrect information, but that can be changed by their webmaster.

Let's wait and see. I guess they need data to fill out the site before they can go much further as they probably need to impress some investors. Is there an email for feedback? We can at least tell them that Black Diamond are not manufactured in the UK.

They can be contacted here:
http://accordion-museum.com/en/contacts/contacts

That section has some email adresses and Phone numbers. I dont know, but maybe they also speak some English.

Black Diamond is manufactured in China, and the reeds inside sound horrible. Probably only had machine tuning, without manual finetuning and last control check. Typical of cheap crappy accordions.
For many decades, some music shop owners and accordion teachers have imported their own brand accordions, produced in Italy, and branded them under some fancy Italianised name. These Italian made cheap export accordions still had some quality, some where even good. Things became much worse with similar Chinese made accordions, named after some importer.

Every person can have his own brand of accordion product line, as long as you order 50 or less pieces in China, Czechia, Italy, ...
Thats nothing new, whats relatively new is the very low quality of these brands, they really sound horrible and have very stiff bellows and action.
A total waste of money in my personal opinion.

Stephen said:
They can be contacted here:
http://accordion-museum.com/en/contacts/contacts

That section has some email adresses and Phone numbers. I dont know, but maybe they also speak some English.

Black Diamond is manufactured in China, and the reeds inside sound horrible. Probably only had machine tuning, without manual finetuning and last control check. Typical of cheap crappy accordions.
For many decades, some music shop owners and accordion teachers have imported their own brand accordions, produced in Italy, and branded them under some fancy Italianised name. These Italian made cheap export accordions still had some quality, some where even good. Things became much worse with similar Chinese made accordions, named after some importer.

Every person can have his own brand of accordion product line, as long as you order 50 or less pieces in China, Czechia, Italy, ...
Thats nothing new, whats relatively new is the very low quality of these brands, they really sound horrible and have very stiff bellows and action.
A total waste of money in my personal opinion.

Hi Stephen, thank you for expressing your personal opinion that our instruments are ‘typical of cheap crappy accordions’, ‘the reeds inside sound horrible’, and that they are of ‘very low quality’ and a ‘total waste of money’.

We cannot, of course, please everybody – nor do we aim to do so. But visitors to this forum should be aware that many others hold very different personal opinions from your own.

Our instruments have sold steadily over the past three years, not only to students, but to many other people without the means to buy a top-of-the-range Italian instrument. They are fully aware they are buying a Chinese-made accordion. But they also know that, in buying from us, they are also buying a very decent-sounding instrument at a reasonable price, made with Cagnoni Durall reeds, and personally quality-checked by us, which also comes with a lifetime of personal customer care. Our factory is the oldest and best in China, and we make regular personal visits to satisfy ourselves that high levels of quality control and working conditions are being maintained.

The endorsements on our website have not been sought, or paid for, by us. They have been freely given by happy customers, by teachers and by those who have tried them out at various shows. They can be read here: http://www.blackdiamondaccordions.com/feedback/

Accordionists of the calibre of Paul Chamberlain, Ian Lowthian, Lyn Tocker and Gary Forrest, amongst others, teach on and recommend Black Diamond Accordions to their students – presumably not because they believe them to be ‘crappy’ instruments of ‘low quality’ that ‘sound horrible’. Black Diamond Accordions are used by Fèisean all over Scotland, and our melodeons have been well reviewed and recommended by Martyn White, Ray Langton and James Delarre amongst other top names in the folk world. Would Sam Pirt of The Hut People have agreed to put his name to recordings of our 96 bass had he been of the same opinion as you as to the sound of its reeds? Let the recordings speak for themselves: http://www.blackdiamondaccordions.com/audio-and-video/

As to the Accordion Museum Online – we were made aware of this a couple of years ago, and despite the somewhat mysterious nature of the organisation, pleased that they had chosen to include us. The entry for BDA, which they wrote, makes it abundantly clear that, at present, our instruments are all manufactured in China. We contacted them to correct a couple of errors in the BDA entry, but received no reply and the amendments have not been made, so it’s possible that the site is either dormant or obsolete by now.

best wishes

Juliet & Greg Dunn, Black Diamond Accordions

From Bugari
"The continuous employment in the search for absolute musical values which will bring up the expressive capacity of the most exacting musicians, is our primary target"
A target that they do not seem to be able to find. I am so glad I am not a dealer for these people $1000's have been spent in my area dealing with the problems with these instruments from a previous dealer now gone.
The most WTF moment was the one that came in with sticking keys, the keyboard had to be completely reworked as the slots had been cut too wide, so someone at the factory had wrapped packing tape around the key guide tongue to take up the slack, and now it was peeling off. ..

Hi Stephen, thank you for expressing your personal opinion that our instruments are ‘typical of cheap crappy accordions’, ‘the reeds inside sound horrible’, and that they are of ‘very low quality’ and a ‘total waste of money’.

I dont wish to thread drift from the op but I feel I would like to balance this a little. I bought a Black Diamond B system CBA last year and I am very pleased with it and the service provided by Gregg.
Also, people (musicians normally) have often commented how nice the Cagnoni Durall reeds sound.
it has a nice sound with quality reeds at a reasonable price so imho not a waste of money at all. Cheers {}

Im not sure Id agree that there is complete and accurate information on the history of manufacturers of accordions available online (or anywhere). I would love to be wrong.

Ive long wished for a central place for people to look up obscure brand-names and models to get an idea of even the age (if not the hard-to-determine value) of a family instrument for instance. I dont know of such a resource. Forums like this are constantly asked for even basic information about instruments when people find little online.

Im not saying this museum site has gathered all that information, but I dont know of anybody else who has. I actually have a dream of a wikipedia-style site where people can input accordions and others can add what they know about them. If anybody has interest/time/skills to set up such a wiki do contact me. (I want to call it The Accordion Dating Service, because I think that would be funny.)

In contrast to our lack of detailed information, British-made concertina owners can look online at copies of manufacturer ledgers from the 1800s and find out what day their instrument was sold. http://www.horniman.info (Horniman Museum site about Wheatstone concertinas.) Accordions, with their multitudinous manufactures and rather chaotic brand names have nothing like that at all.

In addition to European (German and Italian) and North American accordion manufacturing history being difficult to access, the point about other regions being even more obscure is valid. I cannot judge the accuracy of their Russian and Eastern European history, but it is more than many other sources offer. I dont see the point in taking sides, but I note they dont make claims about the very early Russian involvement in free-reed history, The Russians have a whole parallel history of their accordions, and it is little known in the West because of the cultural divide all those years. Im happy to learn more.

Obviously nobodys perfect. I am going to suggest to them that they include the originally Russian oriental garmon accordion in their list of hybrid instruments. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garmon Thats a favourite of mine. I think their list seems to lack a lot of diatonic instruments too. Always room for improvement.

Anyways, I hope more information comes forth to correct what errors there are on the many sites online, and to gather correct information where it can be shared and made use of. It seems strange to hear what seems like hostility about this site when Im not convinced there are any complete, accurate resources out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back