• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

accordion and singing

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewjohnsson40

Reaction score
Do you ever practice singing melodies when you practice the accordion? A beginner exercise would be first playing Twinkle twinkle little star on the accordion and singing it.
Is this bad as teachers never really advice anyone to do this? You cannot practice two instruments in one session?

You don't see singing and playing much, but I do know of one guy who does it: http://www.alexcummingmusic.com

As far as practicing goes, it can be very helpful when learning how to improvise: Sing a line, then play it, and eventually sing as you play. (Because all of us can make up melodies and sing them. This helps connect that thought process to your fingers too.)

Reactions: Tom
What you're suggesting is not bad if it works for you. I think it's hard for the accordion teachers to teach singing. I had more luck with a few lessons from a singing teacher if you can find one..

Yeah, I play and sing to the melody. Probably doesn't sound as good as a chordal or fills accompaniment but is easier to get the notes in tune. I have a ways to go but the journey is the reward.

If a teacher is teaching their pupil to play from music then they're unlikely to do this, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.
I'd suggest that the best way to learn to play by ear is to use tunes that you can sing out loud, or in your head, and learn to reproduce them on the keyboard.

Lots of people sing while they play accordion in performance. Larry of this forum for one. I've currently got a couple of songs that I perform while playing when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back